Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Movies

I love movies. I guess that's pretty much a no brainer considering that I have an entire blog dedicated to them. I've also made it clear that I am a huge fan of action movies, as evident in this post, and this one. But I have also grown to love movies of all genre, except maybe for horror - I don't know, I find most of them to be too unintelligent for my liking.

However, there are also movies that I absolutely adore, but a bit more reluctant to openly admit it. To understand why, you have to put into perspective that it's rather unusual for a guy in his mid-20's to still be watching these movies with the same kind of enthusiasm that I had when I first saw them, which meant I was still in school at the time for most of the movies on the list.


#5 10 Things I Hate About You [1999]
Teen romantic comedy, with emphasis on teen. I really have no business rerunning this movie after the second time watching it, yet that's what I've been doing all this while.

But then again, it is unlikely that people will give me weird looks for this, considering that it is a thinly-veiled adaptation of one of Shakespeare's best-known work, The Taming of the Shrew. Since Shakespeare doesn't age, this is the one I am least embarrassed about.


#4 Jerry Maguire [1996]
You know, despite his financial success, people tend to overlook the fact that Tom Cruise can actually act. I suppose it's the whole business with Scientology and the embarrassing couch-jumping on Oprah, but performance-wise, Jerry Maguire has got to be one of his best.

Despite my best efforts, I can't help the fact that by the end of this movie, I always find myself hugging my knees with a look on my face that's too embarrassing to describe here.


#3 A Walk to Remember [2002]
Yeap, another teen romantic movie. Even I scratch my head at the thought of revealing this little detail. Well, I don't know what to tell you, it's just one of those touchy-feely movie that makes me all fuzzy inside, even I hate myself for it. But heck, what's the point of denying yourself the simple pleasures of life, huh? Even if it is a cheesy love story.

And yes, I still tend to shed a tear at the end. There, I said it. You happy?!


#2 Bridge to Terabithia [2007]
The only movie I saw after my school days, but the irony is I love this movie because it reminded me so much of my childhood. In many ways, I can relate the main character Jesse, so much that I almost felt like the movie was written for people like me. I too, used to have a best friend who's a girl and we pretty much did the same things they did; run around aimlessly, imagining things, the whole nine yards.

Although she is still very much alive, the fact that we haven't spoke or even seen each other for years makes me feel like my childhood died at the age of twelve.

#1 Peter Pan [2003]
Alright, this is probably my biggest guilty pleasure movie, because people give me such a hard time for it. Personally I blame pedophiles, because of those f*ckers I can't even say I love watching Peter and Wendy - they are so cute together - in this movie without them throwing me this weird look, making me feel like a freak.

Peter Pan is probably one of the most lovable stories ever written, because it reminds us that even though we have to grow up, that doesn't mean we have to grow old, and this is my favourite adaptation of them all.

What about you guys? Any guilty pleasure movies of your own?

3 comments:

Ninja said...

Nice choices Mamu!!

My guilty pleasure movie is Yesman and (500) Days of Summer...

Simply because of Zooey Deschanel...

Both were not as ancient as your picks because I'm more into contemporary stuff...

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Ancient?! LOL!
I wasn't even thinking about actual ancient pictures I've seen and love... Like Casablanca [1942], Gone With the Wind [1939] and so much more!

But I particularly like (500) Days of Summer, Zooey Deschanel is just too darn cute!

hafizanmohd said...

I've watched a hindi movies named Guzaarish. and it is amazingly beautiful!!! other thn tht devil wears prada haha.. i knw its not a guy kinda movie but it is a good stuff

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!