Monday, February 28, 2011

Phoenix Rises Again

Any here a fan of Joaquin Phoenix? Well, I am. I first saw him in Gladiator [2000], I loved him as Johnny Cash in Walk the Line [2005] and imagine my surprise to hear about his sudden retirement from acting about two years ago. On February 15th, 2009 I posted about it, him retiring from acting in favour of a career in hip hop.


In case you need to refresh your memory, here's the infamous interview on the David Letterman Show where he was largely unresponsive and basically not very Joaquin Phoenix.

February 11th, 2009
Well the jig is up. Turns out he was acting and has been for the past couple of years. Yeah, all that was for a mockumentary, a brainchild of Phoenix himself and Ben Affleck's better half; younger brother Casey Affleck. The movie is called I'm Still Here, released in late 2010.


I haven't seen the movie, but I am curious since you could say that it was some sort of a satirical take on reality television. The idea of the movie came from Phoenix's bewilderment that people actually believe that the whole business with reality television is that they are all unscripted. It's true, people tend to neglect that reality TV is still a show, and in actuality real life does not make for good TV.

To understand the whole thing better, here's Joaquin Phoenix, all smooth and clean-shaven, making a return appearance on David Letterman Show explaining what it was all about.

September 22nd, 2010

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!