Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Breakthrough Roles #5

This is another easy one, probably because he hardly changed over time. Always good looking and all the while retaining his boyish good looks even when he's approaching his 40's. I bet you'd recognise him straightaway;


Yeap, it's Leonardo DiCaprio, one of my all-time favourite actors. Come to think of it, I didn't think of him that way until fairly recently. I might have mentioned this a while ago, but in case you missed it, I wasn't always a fan of DiCaprio. Thanks to his role in Titanic [1997] that had girls everywhere hug their knees, wishing they could have a guy like him.

The scene that gave headaches to ship captains everywhere...
Guys pretty much rolled their eyes and looked the other way. I was once one of those guys who didn't think much of him. But it's not at all his fault, really. In fact, much of it is mine; I tend to look elsewhere when Hollywood is transfixed on their flavour of the month. At the time I thought he was simply an ordinary actor who made it big due to his boyish good looks. Well, Titanic is a love story, what do you expect? It's grossly unfair to consider it as the pinnacle of his career.

Don't hate me because I'm pretty...
It wasn't until I saw The Aviator [2004] when I started to backtrack his career and I was amazed by his range as an actor. These are some of his lower-profile (if that's even possible) movies that you should at least give a try;

What's Eating Gilbert Grape [1993]
The Quick and the Dead [1995] (Also notable for being Russell Crowe's first American feature)
Catch Me If You Can [2002]
Gangs of New York [2002]
It has also been reported that he will star in a screen adaptation of a classic American novel, The Great Gatsby, playing the role of the title character, Jay Gatsby. Coincidentally I've recently bought the novel, and let's just say this will be that extra push for me to read it.

2 comments:

.r.e.d.h.i.n.d.e.n.b.u.r.g. said...

I wasn't a big fan of DiCaprio too. thanks to his role in titanic. :D
but as you have said, he's a good actor.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Indeed... The Aviator won me over ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!