Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Coming Soon: Cowboys & Aliens


Release Date : August 18th, 2011 (Malaysia)
Director : Jon Favreau
Starring : Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell

I waited for a couple of months before giving my first impressions about this movie, and I must say this is one to look forward to judging by the cast alone. We have some sort of a mash-up between the new and the old with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford taking the lead.


But then again, this is one of those weird mash-ups that leave you bewildered whether to take it seriously, or is it one of those self-deprecating movies that will constantly poke fun at the source material? I mean, c'mon... extraterrestrials and gunslingers? Putting two things at the opposite ends of the spectrum together require  a certain amount of finesse if they were to pull it off. But I am willing to go the extra mile to meet the movie half-way, so to speak.

Shouldn't be too hard considering how awesome the lead actors are...
Reasons to be Excited
I can't say much about director Jon Favreau. I'm not going to take any credit away from him, he has an eye for visuals as he showcased from a kiddie movie like Zathura [2005] to the hugely popular Iron Man movies. I'm not saying I admire him, but he gets the job done and I have no complain whatsoever.

I'm just not too sure about this whole thing with the Wild West setting. A lovable genre for Americans, it's a bit of a hit-and-miss type of thing for audiences of this climate. Which brings us to a reason why we should definitely give this movie a chance;

The casting.

The Cool, The Badass and The Gorgeous...
And they're not just for show. Director Jon Favreau further talked up this movie saying that there will be plenty of characterisation to go around, meaning these guys will not be reduced to mere human props that we couldn't care about even if we try.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B: Okay, maybe we do care about Megan Fox....... 's cleavage.
I don't know if that means we will be seeing believable conflict between characters, or our heroes will be the morally-ambiguous types, or maybe it will play out similarly to the way World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles [2011] did, in terms of we'll be seeing a closer-to-reality human response to events surrounding the characters. I can't definitively say which as of this moment.

What I understand thus far is that this movie is said to cater both the "intelligent" audience, as well as those who just wants to see stuff being blown to pieces.

Be sure to catch it when it comes out in mid-August, and decide for yourself!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!