Monday, April 18, 2011

Favourites #9 : Pixar

"Can Pixar make a bad movie?" I can't help but wonder every time they release a movie. I bet I don't even need to introduce it to you because... well, how can you not know what Pixar is, assuming that you weren't born in the 70's. To date, Pixar has released eleven full-length feature films, with another three planned over the next two years.


The following are my favourite Pixar movies, listed from the one I like most to the one I like the least. However, do not take it to meaning that I dislike the ones listed lower on the list, because there's just no way I could dislike a Pixar movie. I don't know how, but they always come up with an original and interesting concept for their movies and let their imaginations run wild with it, while taking us along for the ride.

#1 Ratatouille [2007]

Order of Release : 8th
Right off the bat I was intrigued by the very concept of the movie; a rat who wants to be a chef. That right there tapped into the dreamer in me, one who romanticise plenty of things about life. Jokes and laughter aside, this is an incredible movie about believing in yourself and to always do things to the best of your abilities, even when the world thinks you are the bane of their existence.


#2 Up [2009]

Order of Release : 10th
Up is probably the best love story I've seen in an animated film, and it was told through all this comical-looking characters, not to mention the female character was only featured in a fraction of the total running time of the movie. Still, we were able to empathise and sympathise with Carl's quest to fulfill a promise. You go ahead and watch this movie and tell me you can't feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I'll know you're lying.


#3 The Incredibles [2004]

Order of Release : 6th
This was the first Pixar movie to feature not entirely an original concept, but boy look at what they did to it. They took what could have been a cliched and unimpressive idea, turn it into an entertaining movie; filling it with what Pixar does best and that is laughter, adventure, all without leaving the audience feeling too detached with the presentation.



#4 The Toy Story Movies [1995-2010]

Order of Release : 1st, 3rd and 11th
Some might disagree with me for not placing Toy Story higher on the list, considering that this was the movie that started it all. It's not that I don't love Toy Story as much as the ones above. The only reason it's not higher is because I love the theme of the aforementioned Pixar movies a bit more. However, the overarching theme of the Toy Story movies are no less important to remember; we should never forget who we are as children and how we perceive the world back then. Sometimes, it's the only thing worth living for.

#5 A Bug's Life [1998]

Order of Release : 2nd
The first time I heard about the movie, I actually wondered if anyone wouldn't be repulsed to see a movie starring only bugs. I for one never did like bugs and almost every bug in the world knows how ruthless I can be to them. But there's something endearing about all these anthropomorphic bugs, which was a surprising feat back then considering that it was only Pixar's sophomore effort. Of course, it benefited a lot from taking elements of an Akira Kurosawa classic, Seven Samurai [1954].

#6 Finding Nemo [2003]

Order of Release : 5th
Here's another weird concept for a movie that many had pulled off before, but not even close to how Pixar did. Immediately when the movie was released, my concerns were how are they going to make a movie that takes place almost entirely in the ocean where it's all blue with nothing else in sight? Turns out my doubts were unfounded because despite the mostly teal background, the characters gave the movie plenty of colours.

Now there are three more Pixar movies that I'm not listing down here. Not because they are any less joyful to watch, but as far as Pixar movies go, they're the kind I'd rather watch only once whereas the ones listed above, I never fail to watch until the end whenever it comes up on the Disney channel.

Yes, I am a twenty-four year old male who regularly watch the Disney channel as well as Spongebob Squarepants. Problem?

4 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

I love Monster Inc the most~

I heard there will be a prequel of the movie... Yeay~

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Oh yes, indeed. Monsters, University. :D

asrap virtuoso said...

I absolutely LOVE Pixar too... but unfortunately the impressive run has come to an end. Cars 2 is nowhere near the normal Pixar standard.

I've just discovered your blog yesterday and have to say I'm rather impressed with your movie knowledge. Anybody who list Akira Kurosawa as one of his favourite directors (although only as an honorable mention) is a certified movie geek in my book. In fact its rather hard to find someone who enjoys movies outside of blockbusters like Revenge Of The Fallen here in Malaysia. And you live in Meru too? I'm from Bkt Kapar.

Anyway was wondering if you went through the 6 stages of movie geek evolution like I did? Here's the stages: http://whoathisisheavy.blogspot.com/2011/09/life-cycle-of-movie-geek.html

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Hi there asrap virtuoso
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow movie nut. I've heard what people have been saying about Cars 2 as well, I must say it's not really a surprise because I think they've pretty much said what they wanted to say the first time around.

The idea for a sequel clearly came from producers who see a lot of dollar signs in merchandising opportunities. Oh well...

Don't get me wrong about Akira Kurosawa, though. He was an exceptional film-maker and his placement in the "Honourable Mention" was in no way a reflection of his abilities. His movies like Yojimbo and Ran (to name a few) can still compete with any movie considered 'epic' today.

The only reason I didn't place him higher on the list was because I can't claim to have known his work since back in my school days. He's a relatively new discovery compared to Scorsese, Scott and Cameron.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!