Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Memorable Actors and Their Equally Memorable Voice Work

When I was younger, I fancied the idea of becoming a voice actor myself. Although I haven't exactly given up on that little thing on my "to do" list, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Why would I even dream of such a thing? Well for starters, I love cartoons, always have. Secondly, there's something about voice acting that I find to be more comfortable, as far as acting is concerned. Not so much because people can't see you, but I had always thought there's more freedom to do things you wouldn't usually do as opposed to acting on stage or film.


Apparently plenty of people share that sentiment, because I have right here on this list three actors who have played very memorable roles in film, but also do some extensive voice work as well.

#1 Clancy Brown


Not really a household name, and I myself have only seen him in only a handful of movies, albeit one of it is one of my favourite movies of all time, not to mention also a movie frequently listed as one of the best of all time. Yeap, I'm referring to The Shawshank Redemption [1994] where he played a senior prison officer, Byron Hadley. Check out this very memorable scene (one of many from the movie) where he was prominently featured.

Embedding is disabled, kindly click on the image and it will redirect you to the video
After hearing him cussin' and being a not at all a likable person, you might be surprised to learn that he is a long-time voice actor in today's most beloved cartoon, Spongebob Squarepants, playing the part of;

Mr. Krabs
#2 Mark Hamill


Not really a surprise to some, but plenty might be delighted to know that Mark Hamill, best known for his role as the quintessential good guy in the original Star Wars trilogy [1977-1983], is also a long-time voice actor of one of the best villains ever, The Joker.

[Insert your own Star Wars reference here]

The thing is, he's not getting much attention beyond the television series, as well as fans of the comic book, and it doesn't help that Jack Nicholson's and the late Heath Ledger's interpretations of the character pretty much defined the Joker character in the eyes of popular culture. But if you ask me, I don't doubt at all that Mark Hamill's own interpretation of the character could hold a candle to either one of them.

#3 Hank Azaria


Now his is a face you may have seen plenty of times before. I'm sure you have, does any of the movies here ring any bells; Along Came Polly [2004], Run Fatboy Run [2007], Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian [2009], and more recently, Love and Other Drugs [2010]?

But before he was ever in all that, he began his career playing the voice of plenty of characters from another one of the world's favourite cartoon shows, The Simpsons;


Yeap, all of that. Photo obtained from NY Daily News

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!