Saturday, April 16, 2011

Real Steel, a... Robot Boxing Movie?

While I couldn't stop thinking how weird Cowboys & Aliens is, this movie crept right up and sucker punched me in the face. If you've heard of this movie, slated for release in October 7th, 2011 (USA) then chances are you're thinking the same thing. It's hard enough for a boxing movie to appeal to the mainstream, so they decided to throw robots into the mix... Presumably an attempt to draw the attention of the Transformers fanboys?

I'm not joking, it's basically a movie about this...
And if you think that this is a movie written by a feverish geek living in some basement, and it's being made by some obscure production crew with a cast of unknown actors, you'd be wrong. Just check out the trailer;


"Holy cow", right? How did they ever get Hugh "I hate shirts" Jackman to do this movie? Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm sold, I actually want to see this movie. I just think it's a little bizarre for anyone to come up with an idea to make a movie based on the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. Other notable cast is Kevin Durand, known for his villainous roles, as well as Evangeline Lily of the Lost [2004-2010] fame.

Directing this movie will be none other than Shawn Levy, best known for his light-hearted, family friendly movies like Cheaper by the Dozen [2003], Just Married [2003], the Night at the Museum movies and more recently, Date Night [2010].


I gotta admit, it does look pretty awesome. No doubt fans of the Discovery channel (me included) will be lining up for this one. Robots, check. Boxing, hell yeah. Good story? I wouldn't know just yet. But if it's anything like the Rocky-esque underdog story, it wouldn't be too hard to guess which route this movie is going to take.

1 comment:

Zulfahmi said...

I'm gonna watch it because there are Hugh Jackman and fighting Robots in it :-P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!