Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Strange Decisions Made By Movie Characters

Art by Casey Jones
Darn... I finally got around to finishing this entry. Can you believe that it has been a draft for about two weeks? You see, I tried to list down some of the strangest decisions made by movie characters yet I kept coming up with nothing nobody has heard of before. I might have to take a day off one of these days, just so I won't burn out.

By the way... Yes, I hate it when people plagiarise from me, so it only makes sense that I hate to plagiarise just as much.

Stop abusing these buttons!
Well anyway, I'm not one to give up on any idea once I've thought of it. It will haunt me when I eat, disrupt my reading of novels, the whole nine yards. So here it is now, only four as of this moment. But I think they're good enough considering that the list does not stray too far into the unfamiliar. Enjoy!

#1 Getting into a fistfight
Movie : Lethal Weapon [1987]

It was only recently did I make mention of this movie, citing it as one of the best released in 1987. It is true that the entire plot is implausible by today's standards, but you can't deny that it was pretty much a genre-defining movie. However that is not to say that it did not feature some of the most mind-numbing and laughable decisions made by the characters, namely Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) and Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson).

What did they do? Observe.


If you don't feel like watching the video, let's just say that our heroes had won and inexplicably decided to take the unnecessary risk of letting the bad guy win by getting into fisticuffs with him. All they really had to do by then was just put him in handcuffs and take him into custody. If they don't feel like doing it themselves, there's an entire squad of police in uniforms who could have done it for them.

I suppose it was meant to give our heroes some kind of satisfaction after they have been chasing this guy for the entire movie, all the while avoiding from getting killed by that very same guy. I'm just surprised that despite all the shit they have been through, they weren't in a hurry to call it a day.

#2 Batman's worst investment
Movie : Batman [1989]

Now this is something that I didn't realise until I saw a re-run of it as an adult. I'm pretty darn sure that I'm not the first nor the last who's going to point this out. But does anyone else think that The Batplane is a worthless piece of shit? Check this out;


I don't know how Bruce Wayne managed to stay rich, acknowledging the fact that even he is no stranger to making a terrible business decision, like the one he made when he invested in that Batplane. Worst targetting system, paper-thin armor and no ejection seat? I really hope he could get his money back and sue the hell out of whoever manufactured the damn thing.

#3 A famous Nazi-killer posing as... A Nazi
Movie : Inglourious Basterds [2009]

Now this one is pretty subtle. In fact, you might not even notice it until you think about it. Remember this guy?


Hugo Stiglitz, just one of the many badasses they have in the movie Inglourious Basterds. As you can see in the photo above, he was recruited by the Basterds to impersonate a Nazi officer because he was one of the few who can actually go under the radar amongst the Nazi army.

Owh wait, can he really?


The movie made it very clear that Hugo Stiglitz was some sort of a "celebrity" in Germany, and in the words of Sergeant Werner Rachtman,

"Everybody in the German army has heard of Hugo Stiglitz..."
So why was he doing undercover work again? The dude killed thirteen Gestapo officers, so it's very unlikely that the Nazis didn't do everything they could to literally make sure that everybody in the army know who the hell Hugo Stiglitz was.

#4 Needlessly complex scheme to steal a dagger
Movie : Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time [2010]

This one might be a little hard for me to explain, because I don't have much to work with. Not to mention I have seen the movie only once, so there might be some details that I overlooked. But if my memory serves me right, I remember thinking how Nizam (Ben Kingsley) went to such extreme lengths to retrieve the Dagger of Time, which had mistakenly - but luckily - fell into the hands of Prince Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal).


Here's the strange part, Dastan and Nizam weren't enemies at that point. If anything, Dastan trusted him and all he had to do was ask for the Dagger. I'm sure coming up with just one more tiny little lie was a lot easier than scheming on how to frame Dastan for the assassination of the king.

No wonder you just can't fuckin' win...

3 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

I dont like the fact that most bad guys talk too much and give time for the half-defeated heroes to gain power for the final attack...

Why couldn't they talk after they have fully defeated those heroes?

Bad decision...

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Mamü Vies likes this.

Anonymous said...

The video to #3 (Inglorious Bastards) is unfortunately private.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!