Sunday, May 22, 2011

Favourites #11 : Speeches

I don't know about you, but I love listening to inspirational speeches they often have in movies. I regularly view some of them because they are actually inspirational, while others can be rather trite but still, I watch them to see how the actor immerse his or herself into their role when one of these speeches come along. Sometimes I wonder if they even believe what they're saying at all, or were they just concerned with their paycheck.

Because these guys weren't...
Anyway before I proceed, I don't know if you have seen this, but it's a mash-up of inspirational speeches found in movies as far back as It's a Wonderful Life [1946] to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End [2007]. Very cleverly made too, if I may add;


I cracked up that they finished it with "independence day!", but all the same I was intrigued because whoever made that must have a really good memory to string the clips together like that. I'm much too lazy to come up with something like that, so I'll just give you some of the inspirational speeches from movies that I watch regularly;

#1 "It ain't about how hard you can hit..."
Movie : Rocky Balboa [2006]

This speech gets to me every time. As a child, I wasn't much of a Rocky fan, but that was only because I was too young to see the bigger picture of it. An allegory for life itself, the message(s) that the Rocky movies have been trying to convey all this while came into a full circle with the release of Rocky Balboa back in 2006. That movie in particular was full of inspirational quotes like this one, and especially the one below;


#2 (Tie) "We are lions!" / "Death!!"
Movie : Troy [2004] & Lord of the Rings: Return of the King [2003]
Short, simple but it really gets your blood pumping, huh?


#3 "What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
Movie : Gladiator [2000]

I have some technical difficulties embedding this one, so kindly click on the image and it will redirect you to the video. Gladiator was one of those movie that fully captured my imagination and propelled actor Russell Crowe into becoming my most favourite actor ever! Check out this speech of his, it was relatively laid-back, he didn't overdo it, yet it really gets the message through; to make the most of your life, so your legacy will not die with you.


#4 "... but they'll never take our freedom!"
Movie : Braveheart [1995]

One of the more well-known movie speeches, I considered dropping it from the list because of that. But how can I make a list like this and not include Mel Gibson covered in woad, telling us that the price of freedom is worth our lives?


#5 "Our deepest fear..."
Movie : Coach Carter [2005]

This has nothing to do with charging into battle. It tackled me in a more intellectual fashion, something we can better relate to living in this modern age where our worst enemy is actually ourselves. Living in this time of peace, we live not for making a legacy but more about nihilism. This speech, is about realising our full potential and not to fear the evil glares you're bound to get on your way to greatness.


#6 "I'm still standing here..."
Movie : The Wrestler [2008]

Regardless of your claims, nobody can do without feeling like they belong somewhere. We surround ourselves with people who appreciate us, familiar places where even the shifting sand beneath our feet feels right. That's what this speech is about. As great as the character Randy "The Ram" Robinson was, nobody cares about him outside the ring. So it's better to die doing what you love, rather than sink into anonymity just because it's safe.

I had trouble with this one as well, so kindly click on the image and it will take you to a site where you can watch the video.


So, is there a particular speech from any movie that you like?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!