Friday, May 20, 2011

Hell Ride [2008]

Director: Larry Bishop
Cast: Larry Bishop, Michael Madsen, Eric Balfour, Dennis Hopper, Vinnie Jones
Genre: Thriller/Biker
Rating: Adult (graphic nudity, violence)
Comment: "A good homage to the genre, with some excesses of its own..."

Synopsis
Pistolero (Larry Bishop), leader of the Victors motorcycle gang returns to the scene along with his two loyal lieutenants, The Gent (Michael Madsen) and Comanche (Eric Balfour). This return is the result of the reformation of a rival gang, the Six-Six-Six'ers led by The Deuce (David Carradine) and Billy Wings (Vinnie Jones), bringing along with them some unfinished business between the two rival gangs. All bets are off, now it's all about "kill or be killed".

What to Expect
1. Some over-the-top biker machismo
2. Gratuitous nudity
3. Some sexual content
4. Awesome bikes!

What NOT to Expect
1. The Tarantino charm

Review
A movie I saw a while back, but it took me this long to feature it here because I had always thought of Hell Ride as one of those genre-specific movies that appeals to a very particular audience. I know, what was I thinking, huh? I never tried to conform, why start now, right? So yeah, aside from boxing, here's another one of my most favourite things in the world, the romanticised biker culture.


I'll try to be as objective as I could, but just in case, you might want to take everything I say here with a pinch of salt. This is a biker movie, no less no more. If the term makes little sense to you, let's just say that whatever plot they have serves as an excuse for our protagonists to lash out their tough guy one-liners, hump the hunnies and most of all, ride their badass-looking bikes. If that sounds good to you right now, then chances are you will like this movie.


Mostly, I'm all for those cerebral and mindfuck movies, but sometimes I just want to sit back and enjoy the movie, and this was one of the better movies for that.

Yeap, that's it for this movie. I told you, it's a pretty straightforward movie. The narration might be a bit hard to follow at times, but there really isn't much of a Tarantino thing going on here, as the movie poster falsely implied.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!