Saturday, May 21, 2011

What's In a Title?

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet", I know that Shakespeare quote is rather trite by now, having heard of it since early in our school days. But is there really a better way of putting it?

There isn't. I should know, I revolutionised the English language...
Here's the thing, the reason I came up with this entry is because I've recently heard of the title change for the movie Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa [2011]. No, I'm not referring to its other The Malay Chronicles title either. I'm talking about this;

Yes, that really is the movie title & poster for its UK distribution
If you didn't bother to click on that link I provided earlier, here's what the original title and poster looked like;


Notice any difference? I know it's pretty subtle, but if you look carefully, you'll notice that the whole damn thing is different. Here's my peeve about the matter; if you're perceptive enough you'll know by now that I have no care at all about the whole racial pride nonsense. So I really didn't care all that much that they ditched the Malay Archipelago feel to the poster.

No, my problem is with the false advertising. Look I get it, this was not KRU Studios' doing. Presumably this was part of the deal they made with their UK distributors. Never mind the fact that the movie did not involve any clashing between empires at all. If anything, the movie was really about an arranged marriage gone wrong. And what god the tagline is referring to? Geruda? Granted, the Garuda was a deity in the original Kedah Annals, but didn't they change it to a warrior tribe in the movie?


What's up with the gladius-wielding Roman soldier? Sure, the Roman empire was prominently featured in the movie, but c'mon... They're making it appear like it's more of a Gladiator [2000] rip-off than anything. Don't you think they'll make it stand out a lot more if they actually placed the character Merong Mahawangsa there?

Oh well... I suppose the UK distributors know their crowd a lot better than I do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!