Friday, June 17, 2011

Childhood Heroes #1 : Colt

If this entry seems familiar, that's because it used to be at my other blog, the now-defunct The Chosen None. Don't bother looking for it, I hadn't deleted it or anything, but it is now hidden from public view. No, I hadn't give up on it yet, I just need to reinvent it somehow because it had gotten way too personal for my liking.

Well anyway, there was an entry that had to do with movies so I'd hate to let it go to waste, so here it is;

Watching and appreciating movies had long been an obsession of mine, an obsession that stretches as far back as the year 1992. Unlike most children at the time, I spent a great deal of my time at a corner playing with toys by myself, ignoring the world around me. The only time I cared about the outside world was when I was watching it on screen.

Practically my entire childhood was spent indoors. Guess what, little has changed...
Remember 3 Ninjas [1992]? In case you do not, allow me to refresh your memory. This is the story of three half-Aryan-half-Japanese brothers who train as ninjas with their grandfather during summer vacations. Complete with "ninja names", Rocky, Colt and Tum-Tum finds trouble inhibiting their martial arts skills and the fact that they live in a peaceful white suburban doesn't help. Out of the three brothers, the middle one Colt a.k.a Jeffrey Douglas had the most trouble.

I think that one other determining factor was the colour blue...
You can probably tell by now that he is my favourite from the series. Colt was characterised as being short-tempered but he is also the fastest and most agile out of the other two.

I have yet to figure out what draws me to him but I remember mimicking his mannerisms and even tried to "expand" his character by telling myself "What would Colt do or say in situations like these?" in my everyday childhood life. For a number of years in my early life, I was Colt.


Maybe I still am. Maybe there's a bit of him left in me. Who knows, huh? Well, he's not the only one, check out my next entry on Childhood Heroes, coming soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!