Saturday, June 18, 2011

FIXI #2: Dendam


Translation(s): Revenge, Vengeance, Retribution

Remember that entry about Fixi novels, the ones I dubbed as movie-worthy novels? Well, here's another one called Dendam. The novel chronicles the life of a fictitious (possibly composite) character Khalil Gibran, a self-made billionaire whose hedonistic lifestyle and lust for power can be traced back to his overwhelming desire to avenge his father, a victim of police brutality.

Now, they are not at all the same, but you know what kind of a mental image I kept conjuring when I read the novel?

Recognise this? No?
How about this? Yeahhh... "Say hello to my little friend!"
Yeap, Brian De Palma's Scarface [1983]. Again, I reiterate that they are not the same, although they do share similar themes; A man of humble beginnings ferociously make his way to the top of the chain through any means necessary that include bribery, gangsterism, torture, black magic, murder and a lot more.

I must say, it served like a window into the world of elitists in Malaysia, a world I'm not all too familiar with. And it's hard to doubt the on-goings of the novel considering the writer - whose title escapes me every time - was (probably still is) a big shot in Malaysian politics, so he knows what he's talking about. I only had trouble digesting the numbers; I remember thinking, "can you really be that wealthy in Malaysia?"

Apparently you can, it's just that an honest buck is so goddamn hard to make.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!