Monday, June 13, 2011

KL Gangster [2011]

Director: Syamsul Yusof
Cast: Syamsul Yusof, Aaron Aziz, Ridzuan Hashim, Adi Putra, Zizan
Genre: Drama/Action
Rating: General
Comment: "I set the bar low and still I was disappointed..."

Synopsis
After doing time in prison for armed robbery, Malek (Aaron Aziz) is ready to give life a second chance. But nothing could have prepared him for the consequences of his past mistakes. His younger brother and sister are no better off, trapped in the underworld of Kuala Lumpur, leaving their ailing mother to look after herself. It doesn't help that Shark (Syamsul Yusof), his former boss who betrayed him is still out for blood, making his transition from a gangster to an average joe all the more difficult.

What to Expect
1. Style over substance
2. Decent fight scenes
3. Over-the-top male machismo
4. Shitty ending

What NOT to Expect
1. The apple to fall far from the tree

Review
Somebody should have warned me that this movie is LOOOUUUD! And I don't mean loud as in the theater cranked up the volume, I mean absolutely everybody was yelling at each other from the beginning till the fuckin' end! I get it man, I know it's a movie about gangsters fighting for territory, so you would expect the exchanges to be nothing less than heated. But damn, it was so over-the-top and dripping with male machismo, I was surprised that none of the characters dropped their pants and start measuring dicks.

"Mine is bigger than yours. KL is mine!"
(P/S: Yes, I know gangsters aren't the most soft-spoken people around. The point I was making is that there was more yelling in this single movie than The Godfather movies and Goodfellas [1990] combined, making the characters not so believable in my book)

But you know what, it's all my fault. I should have known better than to let myself be fooled by the advertising. This is the first film by Syamsul Yusof - son of the grossly overrated Yusof Haslam - I've ever seen, and while I didn't bat an eyelid at his past work, the trailer for this movie did got me curious enough to purchase that ticket. I remember thinking, "you couldn't inherit atrocity, could you?" Well, turns out you can because this movie played out like any Gerak Khas movie I've seen.

What that means is basically it's all style over substance, with disjointed plot progression and people magically showing up out of nowhere (to yell at each other). Dude, Kuala Lumpur (or Malaysia for that matter) isn't that small.

Oh yeah, and fights break out every fifteen minutes or so...
Ah yes, the fight scenes. Probably the saving grace of the movie, hindering it from being a total waste of time. Being a lifelong fan of action movies, I know a good action sequence when I see one and this movie got plenty of decent fight scenes. Sure, Aaron Aziz and Adiputra looked pretty stiff, but I really don't mind all that much. So yeah, while they're not great, it was still good enough to be enjoyable if you could get past the ear-crunching sound effects and Bollywood physics.

As always, I'm not one to give away integral details to the plot, but I feel like I would be cheating you if I don't at least warn you about the crappy ending. I'm sure it's not Syamsul Yusof's fault entirely, I just have the feeling that he had to adhere to some guidelines about 'never letting the bad guy win' or 'crime doesn't pay' or something along those lines.

Syamsul Yusof, not a fan of subtlety...
Should you go see it?
If your taste in movies is similar to mine, then fuck no. Calling this movie KL Gangster is a serious misnomer because there weren't any gangsters, only degenerates and twats. KL Twats. That would have been better.

8 comments:

saiazuan said...

not a bad review u make..hehe

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

hahaha... well, it's more of a comment than a review. These are just my opinions.

.r.e.d.h.i.n.d.e.n.b.u.r.g. said...

haha.someone can really inherit atrocity.that's funny.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Surprising, huh? LOL!

Mohd Rafie Suhaimi said...

hey mamu...terbaek dowh muvie ni..fuck gila hang xsuka...hahahahaha...there are so many fucking cool lines that i can borrow to present myself as a gangster..hahahahahaahaha...yeah!shamsul rocks!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yo, this film is called an action film, if you r not sastified by the frequency of fighting scene, u better go watch Barney or teletubbies la brother
BTW THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST SELLER IN MALAYSIA...LET SEE IF YOU CAN CREATE A BETTER MOVIE

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

I don't recall saying I didn't like the frequency of the fight scenes. Read it again, I said they were enjoyable enough.

By the way, that whole "Let's see if you can do better" is a terrible mentality, like a secondary school student's way of thinking. They have the right to charge people RM10 or so to see this movie, but I don't have the right to say I don't like it? Where's the fairness in that?

Anonymous said...

totally agree. i just watched kl gangster 2. try to give it a shot. Damn. its yelling from the beginning till the end. Fuck it. Godfather is well soft spoken yet its more gangster than kl gangster...Hahahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!