Sunday, July 24, 2011

Favourites #13: Michelle Yeoh

Anyone else thinks that Michelle Yeoh doesn't get as much love here in Malaysia? People keep telling me that it's because she built much of her career abroad, but wouldn't that mean we'd have a hell of a lot more reason to be proud of her? I sure am, and I've been thinking highly of her since I first saw her in Police Story 3 [1992]. Of course, at the time I had no idea who she was, I just remember seeing a really lovely-lookin' lady kicking some ass.

Aaron Aziz and Adi Putra combined got nothing on this lady
How was a mediocre-singer-who-can't-do-anything-else *cough* Mawi *cough* ever got more coverage than her, I'd never know.

Alright, I'm sure she was celebrated somehow back in the day. After all, she was granted the supposedly-honourific title of Datuk. It's just that, my surprise about the whole thing is how relatively little we hear of her. Come on, she worked with the likes of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, been in one big movie after another such as Tomorrow Never Dies [1997], Memoirs of a Geisha [2005] and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor [2008], just to name a few.


Granted, the latest The Mummy movie was pretty bad. But replace Michelle Yeoh in that movie with say... Liyana Jasmay or Fasha Sandha and watch how quick the local media will eat it up and we're never going to hear the end of it.

To be fair, let me just say for the record that I'm not one of those people who watch Melodi and whatnot. In fact, I can't remember the last time I tuned in to any of the local channels and it has been ages since I stumbled upon URTV or any magazines of that type. So what I'm saying is, I'm probably the last person you should refer to about the Malaysian pop culture.

But I'm pretty sure that we only see her in our local channels only when a Cuti-Cuti Malaysia commercial comes along, with her talking about her hometown and such. Yeahhh... Not very dignified, if you ask me.

Michelle Yeoh, kicking ass in every place in the world... Oh, in Malaysia too
Somehow I forgot to mention her when I published that entry about my favourite women in film. Which is rather odd because she really is a hero of mine. Michelle Yeoh, you're awesome! You're rubbed shoulders with the best of them and you deserve all the accolades that they're going to give you when you're gone right now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!