Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The "Game of Thrones" is a Dangerous Game to Play

I don't know if I've said it before, but those in my circle of friends have some idea that I am a sucker for many things like Science fiction, good action flicks, ancient mythologies and cute girls. Another thing I don't mention as often would probably be my love for all things medieval, or should I say Medieval fantasy because well... What kind of sadist would I be if I think the Black Death is oh-so-romantic.

Would you agree if I say that The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King [2003] left quite a bit of a void when it comes to this particular genre? Sure, there were some pretty decent ones since, perhaps Outlander [2008]? You could even make a case for 300 [2007], but if you ask me, that movie falls in a different sub-genre. No sir, what has been missing is the good 'ol stories about chivalry, courtly love and medieval badassery.


Ladies and gents, feast your eyes on Game of Thrones [2011-?], an all-new television series by HBO.

I know I mentioned The Lord of the Rings up there, and it doesn't help that Game of Thrones also stars Sean Bean who played my favourite character from the trilogy, Boromir. But believe me when I say, this is not a carbon copy of The Lord of the Rings of any form or any sort.

For starters, this is not a clear cut story about good versus evil. Humans, Elves and Dwarves do not come together and march to a small patch of land in Middle-earth telling the Orcs to buzz off. There's no huge battles or sieges, no magic, no wizards and no homoerotic tension between the protagonists.

Sorry, I can't resist poking fun at this...
I know, mentioning The Lord of the Rings was a bad idea to begin with because this is a very compelling story in its own right.


This serial drama is based on a series of novels collectively known as A Song of Ice and Fire, and it tells a story taking place in a fictional world called the Seven Kingdom of Westeros. It chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among the kingdom's noble families for control of the Iron Throne; as the series opens, additional threats from the snow and ice covered region north of Westeros and from the eastern continent across a narrow sea are simultaneously beginning to rise. More on the story here.
(Synopsis obtained from Wikipedia)

There's a lot more going on in the series than I am able to mention here, believe me.

Starring in the series are an equal mix of familiar faces as well as the new. Sean Bean stars as Lord Eddard Stark, patriarch of the Stark family. A God-fearing chivalrous man, he sticks out like a sore thumb in a court full of devious characters who hunger for the throne. However, being the right hand man of King Robert Baratheon (Mark Addy), he is torn between following his own moral code while trying to run the Seven Kingdoms.


But some of the more impressive aspects of the casting are really the fresh faces, namely the child actors. Seriously, some of the most memorable performances in the series are delivered by these underage actors.

Be sure to catch it if you have the chance. I for one felt very privileged to have the opportunity to follow the series. Just a little heads up, the series spare no expense when it comes to their depiction of violence, and there are plenty of nudity and some sexual content which may be off-putting for some.

But hey, I see them all as art. Romanticism of the Dark Ages.


2 comments:

manchester said...

Well one can't say that LOTR was not a good idea to begin with in fact it turned out as a very good movie as the book and game of thrones is nothing like it but it surely creates an impression on the audience and the acting of the dwarf in this one is simply amazing

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Oh yeah, I agree. I find that dwarf to be such a delight to be watched on screen. Peter Dinklage is his name, I think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!