Wednesday, July 27, 2011

5 Good Actors Who Are Almost Impossible to Take Seriously

Oftentimes we base our decision whether to see a movie or not by looking at its cast. Maybe I'm just overgeneralising here, but we can almost judge one's character by the people they like to see, wouldn't you say? Fans of Adam Sandler or Seth Rogen tend to go for light-hearted movies and in the case of the latter, dick and stoner jokes.


To each his or her own. I enjoy light-hearted movies as much as the next guy, although I generally reserve my laughs for non-sequiturs, word plays and observational humour. So yeah, maybe I'm quite a serious person in comparison to the fans of Judd Apatow.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I think I just have different standards as to what passes for a good movie. Note the complete absence of movies like Superbad [2007] in this blog. I don't know, there are just things that I wouldn't be able to take as it is when it's downright silly and mind-numbing. So that got me thinking, does the silliness of the movies extend to how I perceive the actors as well?

Not always, because I still think highly of James Franco and he's been in a couple of those movies. But only because he balances it all out really well by giving outstanding performances in every one of his movies.

I'm not sure if I can say the same about these other actors.

#5 Robert Pattinson 
I'm sorry man. I know it's really not your fault at all. I learned quite recently that you took on that role as sparkly Edward without fully understanding how popular Twilight is with prepubescent girls, pedophiles and necrophiliacs. You're an actor, it's what you do; act. How people receive you is not entirely your fault. But it's all done now, after starring in the Stephenie Meyer wet dream and having the legions of screaming girls of all age, shapes and sizes makes it really hard for me to take you seriously as an actor.

Because I can't hear what you're saying over the deafening fangirl screams and "aww"...
#4 Ben Affleck
Ben Affleck has been very lucky to have escaped being typecast as a romantic leading man like Richard Gere. He's not a bad actor at all! However, his achievements on screen are marred by his love for the limelight which led to the worst decision any actor could ever make. But I'll get to that in a minute. You see, I fancy actors like Cillian Murphy and Edward Norton, those guys maintain a low-profile and most of the interviews they give revolve around whatever film project they're working on. That makes them more believable in the roles they take.

So what sort of thing that Affleck did I find to be so off-putting?

Fuckin' Gigli [2003]
#3 Jim Carrey
This guy I just feel sorry for. Since the 80s he had been trying to give the impression that he is a serious actor, but responses were lukewarm at best, even from me. I never sat through The Number 23 [2007], I saw a few minutes of it, but snorted back a couple of laughs every time he raised his voice. Which is really inappropriate because one of the lines was "I'm a killer!" I just can't help it. Ace Ventura is one of my childhood heroes and I can't seem to distance Jim Carrey with his wacky, zany characters with zero inhibition.


#2 Ashton Kutcher
He was not even a young adult when he became famous for his shenanigans on Punk'd [2003-2007]. But it's fine, because I was a fan of that show since I'm a bit of a prankster myself (although I have toned it down considerably over the years, ladies). So what I'm saying is, I like Ashton Kutcher for what he did. So when he tried to get all serious in The Butterfly Effect [2004] and The Guardian [2006], I raised my eyebrows a number of times and I can't even figure out why. I mean, he totally nailed it in The Guardian, he really did!

So why is it so hard to take him seriously, then?

Oh yeah...
#1 Tom Cruise
Say what you want about him, the dude is a very good actor. So much that it almost pains me to see him butcher his reputation like he hasn't the slightest fucking notion about what dignity is. Think about it, all the movie he starred in like A Few Good Men [1992], Jerry Maguire [1996] and The Last Samurai [2003], he gave nothing but excellent performances. So why is it so damn hard for people to pay more attention to his acting capabilities rather than his personal life?

You hear that? That is the sound of me in a facepalm...

2 comments:

jejaka anggun said...

i thk james franco is talented n smart n cute.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Me too! I love that guy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!