Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two [2011]

Director: David Yates
Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith
Genre: Fantasy/Thriller
Rating: Teen
Comment: "It's huge, it's epic, it's Harry Potter like you've never seen it before..."

Synopsis
Picking up right where Part One left off, the trio continues their search for the rest of the Horcruxes, this time around their search leads them back to the compounds of Hogwarts and it is there where they will make their last stand against Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Meanwhile, Harry's spiritual journey also comes to a complete circle when he learns the truth about Professor Severus Snape.

What to Expect
1. Epic wizardry warfare
2. Strong sentimental value
3. Very, very operatic
4. To shed a tear for Snape (well, I did)

What NOT to Expect
1. To be disappointed
2. Overly-fast paced like its predecessors

Review
I've said it many time over that it's pretty hard for me to be objective when it comes to Harry Potter because they mean more to me than just books and movies. Sure, I am aware that the whole franchise isn't that impressive considering that every book was rather formulaic. I am also aware that there is a humongous plot hole in the entire story arc of Harry Potter; exactly how Hogwarts was able to stay open after seven books' worth of deaths and other tragedies?

"Kecik-kecik tak nak mampos! Besar-besar menyusahkan aku je!" - Not an actual quote
But I really don't care. Harry Potter is one of the very few things that I'd let get away with such things because of the sentimental value alone. You see, the books kept me company during my teenage years of living like a recluse. So I guess the point I'm making here is, if you're a longtime fan as well, then there will be plenty of things to feel warm in the belly about because this movie gave the Harry Potter franchise the magical conclusion it deserves.

Sometime last year I said that it was the right decision to split the movie into two. I still believe it was the right call because many of the Harry Potter movies before this tried too hard to be too faithful to the books, resulting in the movie to feel like it was zooming past you before the mise-en-scene could even sink in. Well, this time around it feels almost like the opposite.

This is Harry Potter like you've never seen it before.


The movie took its time to show us how bleak its universe had become, and what kind of odds our young heroes had to overcome. There was one little detail that I particularly like, an establishing shot that is a thinly-veiled Nazi reference which is pretty apt once you consider the parallel between Voldemort and Adolf Hitler. I almost clapped my hands and say out loud, "that's the kind of thing that's been missing!" Just because the books were stuff of popular fiction, it doesn't mean the movie adaptations doesn't have to be artistic in any way at all.

Well this one certainly was. The strong sentimental value of the movie was further amplified by its strong operatic feel. Needless to say, it didn't fall short on special effects either; We have seen a lot of duels, but never an all-out war between these wizards and witches and dear me, it was fan-tastic! I couldn't elaborate much on this because it's just of those things that you have to witness to appreciate.


You know, despite knowing how it's all gonna go down, it doesn't deter the movie watching experience one bit. One example I'd like to point out here would be the character Severus Snape played by Alan Rickman. Although I initially had to stifle a laugh - no thanks to John Sessions - I was able to immerse myself into his performance rather quickly.

The stone cold bastard that Harry completely despised revealed a different side of himself. I shall not give away anything here, but I must confess I shed a tear watching this tortured soul of a man, who wants to love but don't know how, who was unappreciated his entire life but eventually devotes his life to becoming an unsung hero.

I forgive you, Snape!
If I have any reservations, it would be the same one I had for the book. I love happy endings as much as the next person, but I'm not too sure about this one. It felt like J.K Rowling was inappropriately ending a rather dark story with a cherry on top. But then again, the story did start out rather cheery and it has been getting progressively darker with every movie. So ending it that way makes it all the more poetic.

Should you go see it?
A big fat YES!

1 comment:

darkangel said...

agree with you dude, aku pun menitis gak air mata, masa part Snape tu. AKu nak gi tengok 3D plak..huhu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!