Monday, August 8, 2011

"The Avengers"... I'm Extremely Skeptical

By now, most of the characters from the 2012 The Avengers have had their own movies, except for Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye, who is probably one of the most redundant superheroes ever. Frankly, I'm not sold. I really liked Thor, Iron Man was pretty nice, and I thought Captain America was okay. But place them all in one movie, combined with the aforementioned Hawkeye, Hulk and those guys from S.H.I.E.L.D, this might just end up to be very very confusing.

Like the nature of Batman and Robin's relationship...
Why? Well, because they'll be fighting for the spotlight as well as the villains, leaving us blinking confusingly as to whom we should root for. You see, I tend to go for movies with character-driven roles as opposed to the kind that just throws a bunch of people in there and hope for the best. Hence why I like so very few of these superhero movies (and virtually none of those horror and slasher movies).

Sure, it might not be all bad. I can somehow already foresee some kind of an on-screen banter between Iron Man and the rest of the team; while the rest are selfless public defenders, Tony Stark won't do anything without the presence of the media. But that's just one thing.


How are they going to get Hulk angry when it's convenient, incorporate Thor's and Captain America's fish-out-of-water element, Loki's mischievous ways, Hawkeye shooting arrows and the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents doing their thing without cluttering the screen? Have they learned nothing from the Star Wars prequels?

But then again, I suppose this movie isn't made for me. Yeap, I'm not twelve goddammit! You can't just toss in a bunch of superheroes with awesome powers, add in a fuckload of CGI and expect me to go "That was totally wicked!"


Before you start drawing comparisons between this movie and X-Men or Watchmen, bear in mind that it's not the superpowers that made those two movies a spectacle to watch. No, sir.

At least not for me. I once mentioned that I love X-Men for the same reason that most people do; I see it as an allegory to actual human history. Meanwhile Watchmen did great in dramatising (and exaggerating) the dilemma of superheroes without getting cute with the material, enabling you to take it seriously.

My verdict, I'm probably gonna sit this one out unless I get me some free tickets. Oh by the way, have a look at this concept art for the movie, click on it for a better resolution.

From left: Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans
From left: Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders

3 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

I want to watch this movie so bad because I love superhero movies...

However, I do share the same concerns as you...

What I really hope is that they wont mess up the pace and give equal chance to each of the superhero to show not just their powers but also their conflicts and emotions...


Justice League is also under planning and Superman is the first member! Then, they gonna reboot Batman and he'll be the second... Not sure about Green Lantern though

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Indeed. It worked for the comic because they're not limited to any time frame. With movies... I just don't know.

Aurora said...

I'm excited to see all the guys!

I hope they're shirtless all the time :-P

especially Chris Evans!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!