Saturday, August 27, 2011

Childhood Heroes #2: Ace Ventura

As the numbering on the previous entry would have implied, indeed I have more than one childhood hero. This is only the second for many more to come. Now, as I write more about this, you're going to notice that I almost have no real life heroes. Almost. The only real people that comes to mind right now are the guys from the classic Guns N' Roses lineup, Enid Blyton as well as Muhammad Ali.

Of course, as I age I began to idolise people like Ahmad Deedat, Malcolm X and Voltaire as well, but they don't exactly qualify as my childhood heroes.

Because you don't hear about people like that doing this...
Alright now, on with today's entry. I was never a fan of slapstick comedy, but if there's one guy who could make me warm up to it, it's gotta be Jim Carrey. It all started with Ace Ventura: Pet Detective [1994]. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say that many aspects of this character seeped into my own persona. Those who went to school with me can testify to this.

Of course, I wasn't nearly as zany or uninhibited as Ace Ventura ever was, but still there were a lot of things that I did and a certain way I carry myself that people simply find to be outrageous. Of course, I grew up in a small town where the majority are rather calm, collected and reserved. So I was a bit obnoxious by comparison.

I even dressed like the guy.


Heck, I even insisted on being called Jim for quite some time.

I don't know why I did it. But you know what, I am an odd mix of personality traits. I don't crave for attention although I don't mind being in the spotlight. So if you knew me back then you might find me to be unbearable. I was loud, and I said some outrageous things that I didn't always meant. Most of the times I was just trying to be funny. But come on, how funny can an eleven-year-old be?

So yeah, I was accused of so many things growing up. Things that include being a sexist and an insolent brat. It's funny how double-standard works; If an adult tells a sexist joke, people know it's a joke. But when a kid does it, it's like "Homaigawd! You eat with that mouth?!"


However, in retrospect I suppose I understand how they could have thought that. Like I said, how funny can an eleven-year-old be? I bet those jokes I used to tell were too rough-around-the-edges and too unrefined to be passed off as jokes.

So I guess what I'm saying is, Ace Ventura here is one of my heroes because he did what he had to do and he didn't care what anyone said about him. Of course, for the most part this was something I forgot throughout my secondary school years, where what people think mattered more than everything else.

But it has been back ever since, and I welcome it with open arms.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!