Friday, August 19, 2011

"Coriolanus" Will Show You the Other Side of Shakespeare

Ahh... William Shakespeare. Although I'm not by a long shot a scholar of Shakespeare, I have always been fascinated with the guy and my ears prick up whenever I hear his name. However, mention Shakespeare to people around these parts and chances are more than half will only able to associate him with Romeo & Juliet.

My Malaysian brothers and sisters, Ralph Fiennes is going to show you the darker side of the Shakespearean lore by directing and starring in Coriolanus, slated for release sometime in December (USA).


Two things I promise not to do in this entry; References to Voldemort and some jokes about assholes (Coriolanus, get it?) because, c'mon people... It's trite and a little on the nose, don't you think? But before I go any further, have a look at its chilling trailer;


As I've said earlier, I'm no Shakespearean scholar and I'm not all that familiar with this particular piece myself. But it sure is a pleasant surprise that they are going for his lesser-known works.

Basically the story is an adaptation of the play of the same name, given a modern day setting. It is about a disgraced hero who allies himself with his sworn enemy as a mean to reclaim the very city he once sworn to protect. I shall refrain myself from going through my volume of Complete Works of William Shakespeare because I'm so excited to see how it's all going to play out.

I know the whole thing with "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is almost a golden rule in warfare and politics, but there's a rather different twist to it in Coriolanus. What's the motivation for the characters doing what they're going to do? What does this sworn enemy of our hero stand to gain from all of it?


Another reason to be excited as you may have already noticed in the trailer is that the macho Gerard Butler will also star in this movie, as the aforementioned enemy of the titular character. Also starring is veteran actor Brian Cox and some other people I didn't recognise. But given the material, I bet they are all accomplished Shakespearean actors.

There's no news yet about its release date here in Malaysia, and dear me I hope they won't pass over this one.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!