Thursday, August 4, 2011

A "Footloose" Remake? Seriously?

I am not at all a fan of musicals. Or to put it less delicately, fuck musicals. I've seen quite a few and the only one I can stand was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street [2007] and I love the whole classic rock n' roll flavour seen in Footloose [1984] starring Kevin Bacon. But I'll tell you what I'm not okay with; apparently I'm one of the few who despise the likes of Glee with a passion.


I don't understand it. I mean, movies and music are my first two loves. I always appreciate movie soundtracks too, but insert poorly-written dialogue in between musical numbers and I get extremely irritable for absolutely no reason. Yeah, I tend to approach things like these with contempt, so it's really hard to convince myself that they're not that bad. Glee isn't the only victim here. High School Musical [2006] or Camp Rock [2008] or whatever the fuck they have out there get the same treatment.

So now, they're cashing in on this very annoying trend by remaking Footloose. I first learned about this remake when I was in the theatre waiting for Hanna [2011] to start playing. Halfway through the trailer and I groaned audibly. I kept thinking, "Oh no, they're not remaking Footloose, are they?"


Fuck.

Whose idea was this? If it was a modern day retelling of the story I probably wouldn't have minded too much, at least it could distance itself from the source material and spare me the headache. Ah well, I could just ignore its release the same way I ignored the Twilight movies. Let me know what you think should you decide to go see it.

Fuckin' James Dean rip-off...
Release Date: October 27th, 2011 (Malaysia)
Director: Craig Brewer
Starring: Kenny Wormald, Julianne Hough, Andie MacDowell, Dennis Quaid

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!