Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Sherlock Holmes" Should Be Here to Stay


One of the most enduring fictional characters of all time, Sherlock Holmes is about to have another adventure this coming December. Rightfully so because I've been a fan of the character since my dad bought me the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, I can't remember how far back that was but I have yet to finish reading it. (Hey, it's humungous!)

The first Sherlock Holmes [2010] was pretty spectacular although I, like many other fans had reservations when it was announced. I'm not a purist or anything, but I did raise an eyebrow watching the usually stoic, calm and collected character given the martial artist + action hero + Robert Downey Jr.-ness flair to him. Sure, there was a lot of mention about Holmes' physical prowess in the stories as well, but the focus had always been about that deductive reasoning of his.

So I wondered if Sherlock Holmes was the latest addition to the long list of sell-out franchises. But then I got my head out of my ass and just watch the damn movie. I must say, Guy Ritchie's interpretation of the universe was more than good enough to be made a franchise out of. And becoming a franchise it is...


Turns out my fears were unfounded at all. Sure, even though it was given the action film treatment, it wasn't too much as it would overshadow the intellectual side of the character. If anything, they showed that Sherlock Holmes was such an effective fighter because he's an extremely fast thinker.

Not so far-fetched since even Honest Abe was said to have been a formidable fighter
It's too early to call it a franchise, I know. But I am holding my breath (figuratively speaking), hoping that there will at least be a third movie. Heck, if they can plan on making an all-new Transformers trilogy, surely they can at least consider turning this one into a franchise.

By the looks of it, it's only getting bigger and possibly better. The cast and characters have grown, and popular British comedian, Stephen Fry was cast to play Sherlock Holmes' older brother. I can't say for sure whether or not this is canonical, but I vaguely remember that Holmes indeed had a brother. But hey, I'm very open to the idea. Nothing like the good ol' family banter, eh guvna?

Details on the upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie are as follows:

Release Date: December 15th, 2011 (Malaysia)
Director: Guy Ritchie
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Jared Harris, Stephen Fry, Noomi Rapace, Rachel McAdams ♥

2 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

I love the slow motion scenes...

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Me too. Particularly because they weren't just for show, it was cleverly used as a plot device.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!