Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adam Sandler Takes the Eddie Murphy Route in "Jack and Jill"


Release Date: December 22nd, 2011 (Malaysia)
Director: Dennis Dugan
Starring: Adam Sandler, Katie Holmes, Al Pacino!!

Adam Sandler haven't been getting a lot of love these days, huh? Critics pretty much teared him a new asshole in their reviews for Just Go With It [2011], while I too found plenty of things to sneer at, I still think it was entertaining enough to have been worth its admission price. It would appear that things are not going to get any better with him taking the post '80s Eddie Murphy route by starring in Jack and Jill, another collaboration between him and director Dennis Dugan.

Now, I am inclined to agree with the masses this time around. The first Adam Sandler movie that I saw and really liked was Big Daddy [1999], and now that I took a minute to consider, it does appear that his movies have had better budgets ever since, but got progressively worse. Still, the only Adam Sandler movie that I actually hated was Mr. Deeds [2002], the rest had been watchable at least.

I wonder how Jack and Jill is gonna fare?


Now you know why I made that comparison between those cross-dressing Eddie Murphy movies and this one.

So perhaps you too can see why people are hating on this movie. I'll have you know that I didn't even so much as smile when I watched the trailer. That is, until the 1:27 mark, when Al Pacino made his appearance. I know I know, it was a far cry from the days he used to star in iconic movies like The Godfather [1972], Serpico [1973] and Dog Day Afternoon [1975]. But I think that's precisely the reason why his role in Jack and Jill is gonna work.

After all, it's the same reason why his contemporary, Robert De Niro can get away with starring in lighthearted comedies like Meet the Parents [2000], so why can't Pacino?


But make no mistake, this movie is going to be as forgettable as any other Adam Sandler flick. But I suppose there's nothing wrong with enjoying it while it lasts. How bad can it be?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!