Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Favourites #15: Tough Chicks

It took me this long, but I finally decided to sit down and write about the counterpart entry to my favourite tough guy actors, with a slight difference. Because very rarely an actress gets typecast for tough chick roles, and when they do, it gets old real quick. Case in point, Michelle Rodriguez.

Because I don't care how good you look in a wifebeater, enough is enough...
I haven't any theory on that, but it would appear that actresses tend to either go for a variety of roles, or stick to just playing a career woman who would later realise that she doesn't need a career as much as she needs a man. With regards to the former, they could play a tough chick in one movie, play a mother in another and then proceeds with playing a rape victim in yet another movie. Sounds like any actress you know?

So anyway, since I can't say there are any female tough chick actors that I really like, I'm just going to make a list of tough chick characters that I really really like instead. Please note that these are my personal choice, so it may be questionable somewhat. And yes, The Bride from Kill Bill [2003-2004] is not on the list.

#5 Ultraviolet

From: Ultraviolet [2006]
Yes, the movie wasn't very good, I don't deny that one bit. This spiritual successor to the über-cool Equilibrium [2002] further proved that a bigger budget does not necessarily result in a better movie. But one thing you can't deny, and that is how drop dead gorgeous Milla Jovovich was as the title character. That midriff alone was enough to distract any man before she kicks you in the head with her tight, muscular legs.

Not a euphemism.

#4 Trinity

From: The Matrix Trilogy
It's hard to pinpoint exactly what made The Matrix so monumental. The trilogy is so rich with Sci-fi greatness, religious allegories all wrapped up in revolutionary special effects, it's easy to see how it will stand the test of time the same way movies like Blade Runner [1982] did. Leading the way was of course, the main character Neo, but equally admirable was his love interest, Trinity played by Carrie Anne Moss.

All pretentiousness aside, it was the first time in a long time did anyone looked so hot kicking butt while wearing form-fitting leather. Or was it PVC? Eh, I don't care.

#3 Ellen Ripley

From: The Alien film series
This is where the purists might start arguing, and I understand, really. How can the character that pretty much defined the tough chick persona end up any lower than numero uno? Well, I did say this list was more of a personal preference than anything, didn't I? But c'mon, despite the numbering, I do admire the hell out of Sigourney Weaver.

How can you not? That Alien creature went through everyone else like hot knife through butter, enough to even make the audience recoil in their seats. But the unflappable - and gangly - Ellen Ripley went toe-to-toe with the creature, without being an over-the-top badass while still retaining her motherly instincts.

#2 Babydoll

From: Sucker Punch [2011]
Ouch! Okay who threw that?! At least hear me out first, will ya? I admit, the only reason Babydoll's this far up the list is purely because I have the hots for her. The truth is, she would never have the kind of legacy and cultural impact the way Ellen Ripley and Trinity have. But she does look good in that midriff-baring outfit. Combine that with the way she leaped around while wearing that skirt, I'm reduced to nothing but hormones.

But hey, she's a legitimate tough chick too!

#1 Sarah Connor

From: Terminator 2: Judgment Day [1991]
Of course, no matter how infatuated I am with Babydoll, in my mind there is only one true tough chick character and that is Sarah Connor from the first Terminator sequel, played by Linda Hamilton. What made it so hard hitting was how she was this demure damsel in distress from the original Terminator movie, only to make the transition to a no-nonsense, tough-as-nails lady who's not only out to protect her son, but also the fate of the world.

Furthermore, she wasn't this one dimensional tough chick character. She also struggled with fulfilling her responsibilities without sacrificing ethics and morality. As tough as she was on the outside, her internal battles were somewhat tougher.

Plus, it takes an imposing figure to not be upstaged by Arnold Schwarzenegger's T-800 character. And for a woman with a much smaller physique to be able to do that, I don't see how she could end up any lower than number one on any list of this sort.

2 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

From the moment I saw the title, I knew you're gonna include Baby Doll :-)

I would include Alice from Resident Evil as my top 5

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

It's no secret I like Babydoll ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!