Tuesday, September 20, 2011

FIXI #4: Kougar


I can be so forgetful. Despite being the third FIXI novel that I read, I didn't get around to writing my comments about it until now. But hey, turns out that there's a silver lining after all, since something worthy of note happened to this book and its author. Nope, not a tragedy, it's actually the exact opposite; Author Shaz Johar can now proudly emblazon on his book an inscription that says something along the lines of, "the award-winning novel".

Heck, if he won't do it, I will.

Just an example...
So immediately you'll notice how this novel sets itself apart from oh-so-many other novels out there that deals with relationship issues as well. In fact, I would have to admit that even though I'm no stranger to the concept of cougars, I've never read any story where a cougar is the central figure. It wasn't until after reading this novel when I got inspired to explore the theme as well, and the end product is a short story which I send to author Shaz Johar for a contest. But that's another story.

Kougar tells the tale of protagonist Kisha, a feisty and sassy forty-year-old career woman who finally considers about tying the knot after being pressured by her mother, who wants nothing more than to see her daughter become a wife. Kisha finally feels the clock ticking now that her mother is determined to have her married to a man from her hometown, while her heart is set on another man named Azril, a man fifteen years her junior.

Author Shaz Johar at a book signing...
What I absolutely like about the book was how none of the characters were demonised out of proportion. Sure, there were protagonists and antagonists, but the author didn't take the easy way out by making the line between good and bad, right and wrong too far apart, leaving such a huge gap in the middle that you can't help but fill it with a sneer. What I'm trying to say here is that the characters are much more believable than those you often see in TV dramas.

So be sure to grab it if you can, I sure liked it because it dealt exclusively with the life of a cougar while glancing sideways at people who pass judgements and look down on her kind, yet remain oblivious to their own vices.

For more information on how to get this book, kindly visit the official Buku FIXI website. Or, if you'd like to get to know the author personally, you may visit his blog and go from there. He's a cool dude, trust me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!