Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hantu Bonceng [2011]

Director: Ahmad Idham
Cast: Zizan Razak, Juliana Evans, Jue Aziz, Taiyuddin Bakar
Genre: (Supposedly) Comedy/Horror
Rating: General
Comment: "No... Just... No"

Synopsis

Amran (Zizan Razak) is a delivery man for a pizza chain who also dabbles in illegal motorcycle drag racing at night. On a seemingly endless winning streak, Amran is a force to be reckoned with, until one fateful night he inadvertently gets a woman killed, a woman named Ayu (Juliana Evans), his "prize" for the night's race. Unfortunately his problems didn't end when he regains his consciousness; As if the guilt of getting an innocent woman killed isn't enough, he is now being haunted by her ghost.

What to Expect
1. Spastic humour... I mean, uh... Slapstick humour
2. Cutie Juliana Evans
3. Sight gags
4. Borderline mockery of Islam
5. Ham-handed delivery of moral values 
What NOT to Expect
1. A good movie. Enough said

Review
I was reminded many times over that if I haven't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Believe me, I was *this* close to finally taking that advice and let this one slide. But then I got to thinking, what about them? The way I see it, if you don't have any good movies to make, then don't make a movie at all. Now, would it be okay for them to even take that under advisement? Of course not! Show business is an industry, so they're just churning out one movie after another and let the people decide what they would like to see.

So with that logic, there shouldn't be anything wrong with me saying bad things about the movie as well, should there? I'm just telling you what I think about the movie, it's up to you if you want to take my word for it, or take it with a pinch of salt or even disregard it altogether. Your call.


Owh yeah, in case you were wondering what was I even doing in the theatre watching this god-awful movie, knowing from my past reviews that this isn't the kind of movie I would normally go for, well... Long story short, it wasn't my choice. Going to the movies with a large group of friends mean you have to go with the majority.

Alright, now on with the movie. Just like so many local movies out there, the premise of the movie seemed promising enough before it proceeded with fucking things up in so many ways, it made my ten open houses' worth of excrement look like art. If I remember correctly, it didn't stink as much as the movie as well.

Speaking of which, I even had time to daydream as I was watching the movie. I wondered if the screenplay was written by Ahmad Idham while he was on a bathroom break. But before he flushed the toilet, he looked down the toilet bowl, spotted a floating turd and exclaimed "I bet I can make a movie out of this!"


If I sounded a little harsh, I suppose you would forgive me if you knew what a terrible experience I had last night. The actors exaggerated everything; From their movements to the delivery of "jokes" (if you even want to call them that), so much that it became a little painful for me to watch, and I wondered if they were striving for slapstick or spastic humour. Oh, there's a difference.

Making it all the more cringe-worthy for me was how the characters did things like flailing around like monkeys while reciting the Shahada and Azan for comedic effect. I know I know, who am I to talk about piety when there are so many aspects to my personality that God frowns upon (to say the least). But this isn't me being a Holier-than-thou, this about me shifting uncomfortably in my seat watching the actors fuse spas... I mean, slapstick comedy with religion.

No doubt, there is that possibility that I got it all wrong since I paid more than half of my attention to lil' miss Juliana Evans.

Normally I don't go for Ang Moh-looking chicks, but I can make an exception...
At the end of the day, I don't know what kind of a movie they're trying to sell to us. The premise about the repentance of a Mat Rempit is good enough to be made a movie out of, but the ham-handed way they delivered it left a lot to be desired. Expect no quotable quotes, and the moral values were merely platitudes that preached to the choir.

Should you go see it?
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
It's not even worth waiting for the next Aidilfitri.

4 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

Some people seemed to enjoy the movie though...

Maybe it's just not for us... :-P

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

"Some" is an understatement actually. This movie played to a full house and everyone else were roaring with laughter.

Only a like-minded friend of mine sitting beside me kept a straight face throughout the movie. Me, I got really stressed out.

At least I had a good time hangin' out with friends I had since primary school, so that's what I chose to take away from the experience.

Anonymous said...

Well said.As for me, reading the title of the movie already give me the feeling that it's those lame comedy movie like hantu kak limah and stuff.

Shark said...

Fucking stupid movie not freaking funny AT ALL
Zizan have a squidward nose. Hahahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!