Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Michael Fassbender for RoboCop?

Before I proceed with the entry, I'd like to address a little thought which may or may not have crossed your minds. Just in case you were wondering why I haven't been writing the kind of entries that pretty much defined this blog, articles like Showdown, movie analysis and other comedy-oriented entries, well truth is I've been working on a special project that requires extra attention from me.

The special project is a something, not someone...
I'm not going to tell you what it is just yet, but it is something of great importance to me. So stay tuned!

Alright, now on with today's entry. The news that a RoboCop remake is in the works has been around for quite some time. I for one didn't put too much stock in it, expecting the project to be scrapped months after it was announced, the same way that planned remake of The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp won't be seeing the light of day anytime soon. If ever.

In fact, I'm even hoping that RoboCop won't get remade at all.

You see, the original RoboCop [1987] is a masterpiece, misunderstood by most people around these parts as a straightforward Science fiction/Action hybrid. Granted, I couldn't see anything beyond RoboCop's shiny exoskeleton as well until much, much later in my teens. But once you do, you'll see why people still talk about the movie.


I couldn't say it any better than what has been already said about it here, but if you couldn't be bothered to read through all that, RoboCop subtly explores such themes as economic hardship, Capitalism, man's relationship with the media while topping it all off with some not-so-subtle Christian symbolism. Not to mention the visuals were equally engaging as well. All of which contributed to the movie feeling very much - for lack of a better term - complete.

With that being said, exactly what is the motivation behind this remake? Didn't they already say what they needed to say the first time around? Can they really do it better than Paul Verhoeven and Peter Weller? I know there's money to be made, and no doubt they want to rape the 3D fad even further. But Goddammit, what ever happened to this thing called artistic integrity?

On the bright side, they are opting for Michael Fassbender, who is increasingly becoming a household name, to play the title character. Not too bad an idea since he's pretty manly.

Fassbender in Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds [2009]
He's a good enough actor, no doubt. I suppose the producers must have saw him play Magneto in X-Men: First Class [2011] and thought, "Damn, he looks good wearing a helmet..." I must say though, I think he lacks one thing that Peter Weller had, one thing that lends RoboCop most of that air of authority he had; the cold and steely voice.

Oh, but then again...


Maybe he can pull it off, as long as he adopts a less posh accent. The more daunting task here is actually to play a very robotic character with ironically very human emotions. I suppose they are making the right decision when it comes to casting, I'm just really unsure if the remake is necessary at all.

What's your verdict?

2 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

The challenge is for the producers to come up with modern version of Robocop...

Younger audience might want Robocop to be as bad ass as the ones in iRobot, Terminator and Real Steel...

But the fans of the original Robocop must totally want them to stick to the original concept - slow yet smart and tough...

Would they want Robocop to be like other modern robots? or they wanna just go with the original concept? I would love to see which one they'll decide on...

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

"Modernising" it would mean it's going be RoboCop in name only. Like I said, it's going to defeat the purpose. RoboCop was not just an action hero, not really.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!