Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's a Special Day on Planet MamüVies

Believe it or not, it didn't occur to me until my 96th movie review on this blog that I'm closing in on the big 100. Even then it was just a meh moment for me because I must have hit that mark sometime ago, if you include the reviews I wrote back when Friendster used to have that feature. But that got me thinking, and I began to look back on the days when I used to write movie reviews as a mean to share movies that I like with friends. Little did I know that words of encouragement I received made it blossom into a full-blown love affair.

So I figured, "Hey, I should at least make an entry to commemorate this, shouldn't I?" So here it is.

Play this song while you read this entry. Like, seriously...

I'd like to thank Laura, a friend from Sarawak back in our Friendster days who was particularly supportive of my reviews, even though looking back on it, my early reviews were laaame. Sadly, we had long lost contact as she got busy with work and starting a family of her own. But if you're out there, I'll have you know that this blog probably would have never seen the light of day if it weren't for your kind words to this old boy who's pretty much bitter about everything else in life.

Not forgetting the Blogger Formerly Known as Ninja, Zulfahmi of Hush Dragons, who has been an avid supporter of my blog since early in its inception. I just love the comic strips he often draw chronicling various funny things he comes across in his daily life. Not to mention he is also a fellow movie nut with whom I often bounce ideas with.

Also, to those of you who acknowledged me as an inspiration via email as well as Facebook, you have no idea how flattered I am to read those messages saying things like, "I used to only write about my experiences going to the movies, or simple thoughts on what movie I'm going to see this weekend. But after reading your reviews, I can't help but be influenced by how seriously you take movie reviews."

Thank you very much!
Frankly I'm just happy to know that there are people out there who loves movies as much as I do.

An entry is not all that I have though. I have been toying with ideas on how I can improve my reviews, which was how I ended up tinkering with The Mamümeter. You all know by now that I had abandoned the whole scoring/points system long ago because I find them to be crude. You see, I don't know how to measure how good a movie is using numbers. I could certainly try, but at the end of the day I'll have to admit, it's not math or science so I wouldn't treat it like one.

So the essence of The Mamümeter remain intact, I just gave it a makeover and the measurements are now more detailed. Behold, The Mamümeter v2.0! It's pretty self-explanatory, I'm sure. But just in case;


Of course, the descriptions are only meant to be taken as guidelines, and The Mamümeter had always been only supplementary to my reviews. You would still have to read the whole thing to understand what I really mean. Also, I have a couple of things lined up to further celebrate this historical moment in Planet MamüVies history. Wait for it!!

*ahem* Aw, come on... Just play along, will you?

5 comments:

Az said...

I like reading your reviews - entertaining, informative and they give me idea on what to watch. My husband and I, we talk about movies too but none of my friends/family members do that. Mostly give "Ok lah" or "Best giler" or "Boring!" remarks. So, it is nice to know that there are Malays who review movies seriously like we do.

Congratulations!

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

You're too kind :)
But indeed, that's one of the purpose of me writing in this blog, to discuss. I also think it's not good enough to simply say "Ok lah" or "boring" remarks either.

So that's what keeps this blog going; a blog by a movie fan for movie fans. I appreciate your support very much! :D

And yes, that suggestion you gave me is in the works already. Should be up by the end of this week, if I don't get held up by anything.

Az said...

Awesome! Thanks.

Btw, may I recommend that you watch Pan's Labyrinth if you haven't?

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

I haven't, actually. Never had the chance. You would recommend it too, huh? I heard some good things about the movie when it came out.

Az said...

Yeah. Well, I love it. But my other half is half-half about it. So, your review would be greatly appreciated (if you agree with me lah. Haha!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!