Friday, October 14, 2011

Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" Might Be The First I'll See in 3D

Yeap, you read that right. I have yet to see a feature film in 3D because well, I just don't believe in it. It seems more like a gimmick than anything else.

I don't disown the technology, of course. I do see the potential, how it could bring a new dimension (no pun intended) to the storytelling the same way colours did. You see, a movie doesn't have to be in colour to be great (just watch any Akira Kurosawa or P.Ramlee movie), but a good film-making crew can use colours to enhance the movie watching experience.

Observe;

It's not in colour, but it's very artistic...
Watch how Tarsem used colours to give his films a distinctive feel...

That's how the approach should be. 3D technology should be used as a tool to draw the audience in, instead of just hurling things at us which will only entertain the easily amused. Now, it's hard to tell based on the trailer alone, but it would appear that's exactly what my favourite director Martin Scorsese had sought out to do. The movie is called Hugo.


I know, I share the same concerns as you do. It does appear to be a Disney-esque children's movie, doesn't seem like the kind of movies Scorsese usually makes. But nevertheless I'm not going to miss it because, like I said, Martin Scorsese is my favourite director ever.

Release Date: February 2nd, 2012 (Malaysia)
Director: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Asa Butterfield, Jude Law, Chloe Moretz, Sacha Baron Cohen and Ben Kingsley.

4 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

Chloe Moretz!!

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

With British accent!

albarn said...

dude, i just discover your blog last night. it's so cool to have someone like you to review movies. \m/

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Hey, thank you very much (Damon) Albarn! Your kind words are very much appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!