Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Prince of Persia On Planet Mars?

Movie Title: John Carter
Release Date: March 8th, 2012 (Malaysia)
Director: Andrew Stanton
Starring: Taylor Kitsch, Willem Dafoe, Lynn Collins, Thomas Haden Church, Mark Strong


When the trailer for this movie started showing in cinemas months ago and I saw it, I was taken aback. A few weeks ago I saw it again, and I still couldn't put my finger on what is it about this movie that got me into one of my brooding spells. But then a couple of nights ago it all clicked. The trailer reminded me of my younger days when I used to sit in a corner, ignored the world around me and daydreamed about these sort of things. Some of them I put into paper, others I turned into a bunch of half-finished comic books.

Simpler times, good times.

Being the neek (nerd + geek) that I am, it should come to no surprise to you that my daydreams mostly consisted of pulp-ish Science fiction, with strong Fantastical overtones to them. Think of Star Wars and Stargate, and you would have some idea of the kind of reality I used to live in. Judging by the trailer, it would appear that John Carter is in the same vein as those two aforementioned franchises. Here, see for yourself;


What did it for me was the Peter Gabriel song they used in the trailer, which lent it that haunting atmosphere which I hope to be present in the movie as a whole. I know it's a Disney movie, so there is a good chance that they're opting for the feelgood, family-friendly route they are known for. If that is the case, then I must say the trailer had seriously misrepresented the movie.

John Carter was directed Andrew Stanton, you might have heard of him from movies like Finding Nemo [2003] and WALL-E [2008] where he directed as well as voiced some characters from both animated features. Using the two movies as a frame of reference, there's no doubt in my mind that he has the kind of vision needed to pull off a movie like this. Let's just hope they have a good story in their hands.


Speaking of a good story, it is also worthy to note that the movie was based on a series by author Edgar Rice Burroughs, best known for creating Tarzan. Considering that he was one of the guys who is said to have pioneered pulp fiction, I must say they need to do little else to sell this movie to me. Whether or not it's going to be good, that's another story. All that I know right now is that I wouldn't want to miss it.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!