Thursday, October 20, 2011

Time and Money, You Can't Waste Either of Them

Movie Title: In Time
Release Date: October 27th, 2011 (Malaysia)
Director: Andrew Niccol
Starring: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy ♥, Olivia Wilde ♥, Alex Pettyfer


2011 has seen a fair share of movies with odd premises. We've had Sucker PunchCowboys & Aliens, and of course, Real Steel. I suppose Source Code can be considered weird also. Now, even when I'm being objective about it, I still find Sucker Punch to be pretty entertaining, although I understand that the audience was expected to fill in too many blanks, which didn't work out very well. I guess the movie was too ambitious for its own good.

As for the other two; Cowboys & Aliens (insert fart sound here) was a waste of good potential, while Real Steel and Source Code exceeded all of our expectations.

Coming soon is a movie called In Time, and it is set in a universe where time is used as currency, eliminating the use of paper money and credit cards. It will require a bit of a suspension of disbelief here the same way Rise of the Planet of the Apes required you to take the concept seriously enough to grasp the tone of the movie. Here, have a look at this extended trailer to see what I mean;


I get the premise. I understand what are the conflicts. I understand what are the characters' motivations for doing what they're doing, and how they are going to get us audience to relate to the characters. What I don't get is how it will all amalgamate together and work as one movie. But then again that's the whole point in going to see it, wouldn't you say? So yeah, from a movie standpoint, it looks to be a pretty decent thriller.

Indeed, I have no problem with the premise. If anything, I'm curious to find out how they're going to make it work without nailing the message of the story onto our foreheads, hammering away at every second of its running time. You know what I mean, right? It's like the whole movie was made based on the saying, "Time is money".

"Don't waste my time"... Because time is money, get it?
Jokes aside, it really is a good message to spread. I'm just not sure if I want to hear it from Justin "Ooh ahh hee hee~" Timberlake. Yeah yeah, I'm not saying I'm not going to give him a chance, I just don't feel too strongly of him as an actor, that's all. Sure, he has as much right to venture into acting as the next guy. But I seriously doubt that he is as good an actor as he is a singer.

I also doubt that I'm going to be wrong about this either. Even though I once did wave Leonardo DiCaprio as nothing more than a pretty boy actor who would only be the flavour of the month at best. But look at him now, he could easily be one of the greatest actors of our generation. And one of the dudes I would go gay for. But I'm pretty sure the same can't be said of Timberlake.

Speaking of dudes I would go gay for, guess who else is part of the cast member?

*shameless fangirl scream*
*ahem* Well, even if it turns out that Justin Timberlake can't express more than two emotions on camera, I would just take comfort in knowing that this movie also features Cillian Murphy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!