Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Tale of Two Snow Whites


This may sound odd if it's the first time you're hearing about it, but indeed there are two different Snow White movies currently in the works, and they will see release within three months of each other. I made entries about them some time ago, one for each; There's that one being directed by Tarsem Singh and another one given the Joan of Arc treatment, both of which I'm looking forward to for different reasons. After months of waiting, trailers for both movies finally hit the internet, and the wait was definitely worth it.

#1 Mirror Mirror [2012]
This more traditional-looking Snow White is being directed by Tarsem Singh, who is the latest addition to my list of favourite directors. Questionable choice, I know. But like I said in my review of Immortals, any movie by Tarsem is of the love-it-or-hate-it variety, so don't expect Mirror Mirror to be any different. I bet my ass his detractors will decide beforehand that they're not going to like this fairy tale of his before they even see it.

I will say this about the movie though, despite going for the mainstream market with Immortals, his take on Snow White is going to make the former look as artsy as The Fall [2006] was. Mirror Mirror looks to be like such a departure from his previous works, seemingly more lighthearted in tone and it paints the Queen in a more humourous (and possibly sympathetic) light. Observe;


#2 Snow White and the Huntsman [2012]
I've already mentioned several times before of Joan of Arc, but after seeing the trailer, it would appear that visually, it is a reminiscent of The Chronicles of Narnia movies. I wouldn't call that a bad thing, especially since I thought Prince Caspian was pretty damn good. But more than anything, I'm curious to see how Kristen Stewart would fare playing a strong character after making feminists all over the world menstruate three times the amount of blood every time they watch her play Bella Swan.

Of course, it goes without saying that I'm not getting my hopes up too high. As strong as her character's gonna be, she will be sharing a screen with Chris 'Thor' Hemsworth, and I bet there are people simply dying to see him do something with Snow White that will make them swoon. Could I be wrong about this? I certainly hope so. Here, watch the trailer and decide for yourself;

3 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

I would prefer to watch Snow White and the Huntsman because it's more serious and there's Thor in it...

Mirror Mirror looks like it's more for kids

ripgal said...

K Stewart doesn't look any different to her Bella Swan in Twi, and her acting in the trailer doesn't leave a particularly good impression either. Hopefully, Thor..erm Chris and the gorgeous evil queen can knock the ball out of the park with this.

Mirror Mirror looks adorably fun and cute. I can already predict myself laughing along with JR's hilariously evil queen takes. :)

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Hahaha... Well, you know what they say; Kristen Stewart, 5 movies - 1 expression.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!