Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Horny Cougar and Baby Black Market

Come to think of it, I have been seeing more local movies this year than I had been all my life. I can't quite figure out why as of right now, but I suppose it has something to do with the influx of creativity that's been going on in the industry. It would appear that many are rushing to try something new, may it be in terms of action-oriented films (Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa, Kongsi, KL Gangster), heist (Setem), and of course, Afdlin Shauki who is always one to go against the grain, as evident in his blend of horror and fantasy in Misteri Jalan Lama.

I wanted to talk smack about Libas, but I haven't seen it. So I'm gonna have to shut up...
Even though I only liked a handful of them, still I would rather watch any of the movies mentioned above over any... Say, Yusof Haslam or Razak Mohaideen films? Well, except maybe KL Gangster. I literally had a headache watching a movie filled to the brim with men constantly sizing each other up (read: cakap gebang) and shouting like pimps.

So here are two more upcoming local films that I might like, it's too early to call as of right now. But safe to say, I'm going to like the second one over the other. Here, check 'em out;

#1 Datin Ghairah

Release Date: December 8th, 2011
Director: Sabree Fadzil
Starring: Maria Farida, Aaron Aziz, Faizal Hussein
Meant to be a comedy-drama, I don't think it will stand out much given the fact that we are already somehow familiar with the formula. On a more personal note, I might even roll my eyes if I decide to go see it (which is a big "if"), and find myself surrounded by Aaron Aziz fangirls. But then again, there's something in it for dudes too, and that would be the titular character herself, Maria Faridelicious.

I looked so stupid, I had to put that little black bar over my eyes. Trust me, it's better this way...
#2 Songlap

Release Date: December 15th, 2011
Director: Effendee Mazlan, Fariza Azlina
Starring: Shaheizy Sam, Syafie Naswip, Sara Ali
I have always liked movies by Redfilms, a production company known for their instantly recognisable and distinctive flavour. Remember Gol & Gincu [2005], Kami the Movie [2008] and Pisau Cukur [2009]? If you do, I don't think I have to say much to convince you to at least give this one a try?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!