Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's 2012, and The End is Nigh!

... The end to Christopher Nolan's epic Batman movies, that is. What, did you think I was referring to the end of the world? Go talk to a Mayan shaman for that cock-and-bull story.

I wonder if that joke's been made before...
Now, the year 2012 too has a plethora of good movies to look forward to, which I will get into another time. For now I'll simply say this; The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt the one I'm most looking forward to, because I really think Christopher Nolan is that good a filmmaker. But then again, who doesn't?

I remember passing over Batman Begins [2005] when it came out, because I thought it was an odd take for a superhero to be so devoid of any fantasy elements whatsoever. I even remember calling it the Batman movie sans Batmobile, thinking that The Tumbler was something Bruce Wayne use for recreation. It took me a while to warm up to it, but once I did I thought it was nothing short of genius. I even liked Batman's fighting discipline.


I don't need to tell you how phenomenal The Dark Knight was, do I? Not that I would because I don't write with the intent of stating the obvious. This is not that kind of a blog.

What I'm more interested in is how a pattern gradually comes into shape once you look back on it, even though the Nolan brothers are known to make standalone movies without worrying too much whether or not they leave room for sequels. But scrunch the Batman movies together, and epicness will ensue. You might argue that it's the same thing with any other superhero-themed movies, but did any of them rise above the genre to make for one grand crime drama?

I don't think so. Now, I could blabber on while making some analysis on this, but let's save it for when after we've all seen the movie. For now, here's the newly-released full-length trailer for The Dark Knight Rises!

4 comments:

Az said...

Oh yeah! So many exciting movies coming up in 2012. I feel like hibernating my way to 2012 and wake up to watch all these movies!

It's a shame this would be the last Batman movie with Nolan and Christian Bale though.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

And catch The Walking Dead too!! :D

Az said...

OMG can't believe I forgotten about that one. =P I guess I have managed to keep my mind off it by watching other movies. But yippie! It's only 2 months away now.

Anonymous said...

Batman has always been my favorite super hero. It's said that we will be saying goodbye to Nolan being at the reigns, but all great things must come to an end. I am a little afraid to watch it because of high expectations. I geeked all over the trailer. This, the Hobbit(which will only come out in december :( and the hunger games is what I am looking forward to.

I am not so sure about the avengers, although i didn't expect to enjoy thor as much as I did.

will you be reviewing darkest hour? The trailer intrigued me a little but not enough to spend my hard earned money on it yet, was hoping on your review p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!