Friday, January 6, 2012

Second Time's The Charm?


Movie Title: Wrath of the Titans
Release Date: March 29th, 2012
Director: Jonathan Liebesman
Starring: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Rosamund Pike, Ralph Fiennes, Bill Nighy, Danny Huston

From what I remember, the first installment of this movie was unanimously declared a trainwreck of a movie by critics and also critic-wannabes like me. But being critically-panned does not necessarily mean it will result in poor box-office intake, as Clash of the Titans [2010] took home an amount close to half a billion dollars even with the bad word-of-mouth that went around.

Well, good for them. But you see, I would have thought that they had simply taken the money and ran with it while the rest of us effortlessly forgot that we went to see it.

Clearly I was wrong, and I remember I tilted my head to one side when I saw the trailer for Wrath of the Titans on the sidebar of YouTube. "Holy shit, they're making another one? And they're gonna have to do it without ice cool Mads Mikkelsen in any role." I said to myself. I know by now that looks can be grossly deceiving, but I gotta say, I'm willing to give it a chance once I saw the trailer, and learned who's sitting in the director's chair this time around.

This guy...
Jonathan Liebesman, if you remember, directed one of the most entertaining alien invasion movies as of late; World Invasion: Battle for Los Angeles [2011]. Now, I know that that's hardly a reason to be overly-excited about it, because the previous Titans director too has a good eye for visuals. But what I think Liebesman could bring to the table is better pacing, even though I'm not pretending to know much about the guy. All that I hope is that, the movie wouldn't go for an unapologetic paint-by-number storytelling as its predecessor did.

What's the worst that could happen? Even if it turns out to be just as bad, I could at least take away with me the fact that there will be Titans this time around, and the action looks goooooood... It's like they decided to make a movie based on the successful video game franchise, God of War, but then realised that whole business with having a protagonist who's angry all the goddamn time will get old real quick.

So this looks to be a God of War movie in spirit, using Marilyn Manson's rendition of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) to set the tone. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

3 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

Even though Clash of the Titans didn't deliver, but it still has some strengths like awesome images and effects... I love the depiction of giant scorpions and Kraken...

What's missing was the right pacing and a good story line...

I agree with u that Liebesman may improve the pacing and make it as engaging as Battle Los Angeles...

Whatever it is, I'm being optimistic about this movie because I would love to watch some Titans brawling... Maybe Zeus can go head to head with them...

I crave for the same effects as Immortals' last battle with the Titans...

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

I felt like the movie was too superficial, like they only took creatures and the aesthetics of Greek Mythology and made a movie solely out of those things. I felt like it lacked the richness of the mythology to do it justice.

The only thing I remember about it was Mads Mikkelsen. That scene when he looked at Medusa and sneered as he turned into stone. SO COOL!!

Zulfahmi said...

Yup, they just pick a God and use their own story line... The movie confused me... Is Theseus the son of Poseidon or Zeus in the Greek mythology? It was Hercules who rode Pegasus right? and not Theseus...

Those who studied Greek mythology must really hate this movie



I just love how Kraken appeared from the sea...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!