Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Annoying Things Local Films Like to Do #2

Took me long enough to get back to this. Originally I intended to lump all these points together in one post, like the usual lists of five things that I make every now and then. But since I couldn't quite elaborate on certain points at the time, I decided to split it up into two, which in retrospect wasn't that bright an idea. But what the hell, at least I finally got around to finishing the second part. So here is the continuation to another thing local films like to do that annoys the hell out of me.

I feel cruel sometimes. But hey, at the end of the day, I am a customer...
And yes, I know not all local movies are like that. So don't bother reminding me.

Generic Supposedly-Comedic Background Music
Background music isn't a necessity per se. But unless it's an Alfred Hitchcock movie, it's pretty damn hard to make do without having a film score looming in the background since there's a lot that they can do to set the mood and tone of its scenes. Rocky [1976] had Gonna Fly Now. Wall Street [1987] had This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody). Songlap [2011] had the benefit of having MonoloQue compose its film score. Check out films by Darren Aronofsky too, that guy knows what he's doing.

Long story short, I enjoy listening to the background music in movies unless it's from a local comedy movie.

You know the kind...
Why? Well for starters, it's insulting to our intelligence in the same way as KL Gangster [2011] (no, I'll never let it go) because for some reason they think it's necessary to constantly remind the audience of what they're watching. You see, KL Gangster had all its characters shout, snarl and sneer all the goddamn time probably because they assumed we'd forget that they are gangsters if they sit down in a restaurant and order a drink like a normal human being.

It's the same thing with background music in typical mainstream "comedy" movies. Notice how oftentimes the music are about as loud as the dialogue? Dude, background music isn't just a name. The whole idea is to have them in the background, and not for accompanying the punchlines to your non-jokes. So now you see another reason as to why it's annoying; Background music being used as a crutch to make up for an otherwise humourless comedy movie.

You know what, don't take my word for it. Check out the clip below that pretty much illustrates my point. Granted, it's from an Indian movie, but don't you pretend that our comedy movies don't have the same feel.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!