Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Shalt Not Maketh Any Horror Potter Jokes


Movie Title: The Woman In Black
Release Date: March 1st, 2012
Director: James Watkins
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Ciaran Hinds, Janet McTeer, Sophie Stuckey, Liz White

A lil' shout out to Az; If you're out there, I'm happy to share the news that this movie has finally been given a release date here in Malaysia. I have to admit, I didn't think it would reach our shores at all given the fact that it's a British production, and Daniel Radcliffe being the only household name. But then again, horror films sell pretty well around here (regardless of quality), and everybody loves Harry Potter, so I guess it's only a matter of time.

No doubt, I too am excited to see Radcliffe in his first high-profile film role since we said bye bye to Harry Potter. But for the most part I'm liking the feel of this movie because it reminds me of a phase I once had when Cinemax ran horror movies made by Hammer Film Productions back-to-back. I especially liked the ones with Peter Cushing in the lead role.

a.k.a Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars [1977]...
Now, it's important to keep that in mind because there's a stark difference between "Hollywood horror" and "Hammer horror". If you're used to, or a fan of the former, you're going to find the horror in Hammer Films to be rather tame because they are much less about having things jump out at you, and definitely not about properly timing a bloodcurdling scream after a long pause.

Hammer Films is a different brand of horror altogether that's more about an eerie atmosphere and a very distinctive Gothic feel. Come to think of it, I remember reading somewhere about how Tim Burton grew up watching a lot of Hammer films and it influenced his visual style a lot. Of course, I'm talking about the vintage Hammer films, and I have no idea if that same theatrical feel is incorporated into this latest offering from them.

Here, you be the judge.

5 comments:

j_fish said...

I don't usually watch horror movies but for him I would. X)

Az said...

Oh, speechless!

One because I can watch this film in cinema.

Secondly, cause there's a lil shoutout to me! Hihi =D

mwaa2009 said...

I am not a harry potter fan but I do love the horror movies, and not the blood , gore , slasher ones. There's been mixed reviews about this one,still I am looking forward to a good scare. If it can keep me up at night, then it'll be in my dvd collection

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

J_fish: Oooh... A fangirl. LOL :P

Az: Hahaha. Well, it was you who told me about this movie. So thanks! :D

mwaa2009: I don't know about this one, but from what I know about Hammer Films, they're less about "scaring you" and more about "creeping you out".

Zulfahmi said...

It seems a little artistic which is a very interesting... The Gothic style is indeed an attraction...

Though I really hate dolls... They're creepy... This movie would traumatize me forever...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!