Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Hunger Games, Taking Some Heat Off Twilight

This entry stayed a draft for almost a week thanks to my unstable internet connection. By now I'm sure many other websites and blogs dedicated to movies have beaten me to it. But hey, better late than never, huh? Anyway, you would have noticed that not only me, but the mainstream media too made a lot of comparisons between this movie to Twilight. Some noted that it's bigger, better (but hell, famine is better than Twilight) and how it looks like it's going to be an even more successful franchise.

And that's not good.

Although I wouldn't mind if it's Sparkly Edward that they're huntin'. (Credits to whoever photoshopped this)
Why? Because the only similarity I see between the two franchises is how outrageously creepy they both are. But relax, I'm not saying that The Hunger Games is as bad as Twilight. Not even close. At the very least The Hunger Games was bearable as a movie. It was not devoid of humour, it had this thing called a plot progression, and it had a protagonist you could root for and you wouldn't feel embarrassed about it.

My only problem with the movie was its premise. This is something I already said in my review of it, but after I wrote it, I realised that I can't get over it. Not yet, at least. Again, please note that I haven't read the book, and it's unlikely that I ever will. Still, I think it hardly matters since it's the premise that I'm talking about; A world where children viciously murder each other is a spectator sport.

Yes, it's fiction, I fuckin' understand that. But so was Lolita and I didn't find it entertaining at all.

It didn't help that she gave the books a thumbs up...
What's so disturbing about it is how we used to have something not too far removed from The Hunger Games in real life. They used to air such shows on Nickelodeon; Legends of the Hidden Temple and Global Guts, to name a few. Remember those? They featured children too, but they were regarded simply as children's shows. But in this alternate universe, selected children are given weapons ranging from machetes to explosives, and they are expected to use their imagination to kill their peers as creatively as they can.

Suddenly it's a sport that everybody can be okay with.

But I digress. The Hunger Games is not The Condemned [2007] and I am aware of the subtext. Even without reading the books, it can be inferred that the movie explored themes such as poverty and oppression of the poor. Still, it was pretty hamhanded that author Suzanne Collins had to resort to children mass murdering children to get that point across, young adult novel notwithstanding.

Sorry kids...
Holy shit, and it's a trilogy? She wrote three of these books? Why do I get the feeling that she secretly hates her children? Because, you know... Like she never forgave them for the pain of childbirth?

Perhaps we should burn her at the stake? Just in case...

4 comments:

asrap virtuoso said...

Rather than The Condemned, it is more similar to Battle Royale [2000]. I'm just saying that though, I haven't seen that movie yet. LOL

Ninja Turtleneck said...

Battle Royale ok apa. The sequel sucks.
Kalau concept on children death games ni, my favourite - stephen king's book, The Long Walk. Still waiting bila diorang nak buat movie dari buku tu

Dan O. said...

The film doesn't really get going until they actually do get to The Hunger Games, but when it does get started up its entertaining, tense, unpredictable, and very well executed from Gary Ross. I also couldn't believe that this was his 3rd film after other flicks such as Seabiscuit and Pleasantville, which are both good but are different from this one. Still though, great jobs from everybody involved and I cannot wait for the sequel. Good review.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Battle Royale memang jauh lebih okay. The Long Walk eh? Kena baca ni, even though yang tak baca banyak lagi kat bookshelf aku :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!