Friday, April 27, 2012

Transformers 1Malaysia


Movie Title: Mantera
Release Date: May 17th, 2012 (Malaysia)
Director: Muhd Aliyar Al-Kutthy
Starring: Tomok (-_-"), Shiqin Kamal, Kamaliya, Wael Al-Masri, Said Dashuk-Nighmatulin, Yank Kassim

It took about a year for this movie to come to my knowledge. I must confess that I can be as cynical as any other Malaysian, hence the reason why I scoffed when I saw the poster adorned on Cathay Damansara's Coming Soon section. But it had nothing to do with the idea of a pirated Transformers movie. Heck, even the original ones I looked upon with disdain. So no, it was seeing Tomok playing the lead role that made me immediately skeptical of the movie.

Not to mention it brought back memories I had long suppressed.

Bad ones...
But once I sat down and convinced myself to look past all the headaches he indirectly gave me back in my school days, pretended that he never sang that infernal Sejarah Mungkin Berulang song... I don't hate Tomok, I don't even know the guy. I'm just saying he's no actor and I'm not sure if he can make the movie work. Putting on a happy face while Mangga photographers snap away at your scrawny ass does not qualify as acting.

So I still wasn't excited about the movie, but at least I was able to be objective enough about it. I don't see it transcending the lower rungs of the B-movie ladder. But hey, people were crazy enough to invest RM18 million for it. So chances are I will go see it, for the same reason most people will; Just to satiate my curiosity. I just hope it won't at least make me exit the cinema hall halfway through the movie, and do this;

"NOKHOROOOWWWMMMM!!!"
In the meantime, have a look the trailer and share your thoughts in the comments section, yeah?

3 comments:

Zulfahmi said...

Why Tomok???

The CGI brings me back to the 90's... and since it's a Malaysian movie, Y U NO Make it in Malay? I guess Malay language is not cool enough for it...

Mujahid Mansor said...

I heard there was a special screening for Mantera back in February.

Are there any reviews floating on the web that I could read?

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Not that I know of, bro. But I suppose I could google it up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!