Friday, May 18, 2012

World without Shadow, a Docu-drama by Khoo Eng Yow

My timeline is pretty messed up, but I think it was around this time last year when I had the opportunity to have an early look and help out engineer-turned-filmmaker Khoo Eng Yow with his eye-opening documentary, World without Shadow (also known as Wayang Rindukan Bayang). I was very happy to be on board to begin with, but what I walked away with was something I'd never forget, being a fan of all things artistic.

You see, it was pretty much a finished product when I came along, and all I had to do was help Eng Yow with the English translation of the subtitles. I shall not give away anything here, I'm just gonna say that World without Shadow is a must-see not just for fans of the art...

... More importantly because it sheds light on that part of Malaysiana few are aware of.

So here's the thing about wayang kulit. I know of it, I know it exists, but still the art of it is pretty foreign to me, despite its extensive history here in Malaysia, and I'm sure this is something most of you can relate to as well. Why is that so? How did that came to be? World without Shadow will answer all of your questions, that's a guarantee.

It was really rich with information, in addition to being made with a lot of heart. That much was apparent even if I hadn't met Eng Yow. A native of Perak, I never got around to asking how he came across wayang kulit, and how did he become engrossed in it (or maybe I did but couldn't recall). But I did find out why he set out in doing this documentary; The once glorious wayang kulit scene is now being kept alive only by a handful of people, and this art form had been fighting an uphill battle ever since our society chose to cherry pick the real history of Malaysia.

He's doing what he can to ensure that this art form won't be forgotten by time.

I like this Tok Dalang the most. He had a unique air of charisma about him...
World without Shadow will premiere at Help University Theatrette on the 21st of May, 2012 (Monday) 8pm. Admission is FREE. In the meantime, have a look at snippets from the docu-drama, just to get the ball rolling.





4 comments:

Neddo Khan said...

a million times 'like' =)

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Thankies~ :D

Adilla said...

Hi! I just wanted to say thank you. This is a great blog :). While the rest of your blog is no less awesome, this is my favorite post because it's the best discovery I've made this week. I'm a massive fan of wayang kulit Kelantan. I didn't know this documentary existed! I wish I could get my hands on a copy -- do you know if they have DVDs of it?

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

Hi Adilla! Thank you very much, that's very kind of you. I'm glad you could find something to your liking here.

I don't know if DVDs of it have been made, but I could get in touch with Eng Yow and ask him? :)

Stay tuned :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!