Sunday, November 11, 2012

I Want to Like This Movie, But...

... First impression's not too good.


Movie Title: Prince of the City
Release Date: December 27th, 2012 (Malaysia)
Director: Roslan Hussin
Starring: Julian Cheah, Michael Madsen, Aaron Aziz, Jehan Miskin, Tara Wallace

The last time I cringed this much from watching a movie trailer was when Edward Cullen and Bella did it for the first time. I kept telling myself that maybe it's the trailer that didn't do the movie justice. After all, they managed to entice the Michael Madsen to star in this movie, so that's gotta count for something, right? Sure, there are a couple of corny exchanges between the characters, but that doesn't prove anything, right?

Right?

Well, nobody can say for sure until December 27th, and before I let you watch the trailer, I'd like to share a couple of my favourite moments from it. It's so bad, it's funny to the point where I can't really form coherent thoughts, like I did with the aforementioned Twilight trailer. For starters, it's a half-baked movie trailer where the audio doesn't even connect with the visuals, and I don't mean that it doesn't sync. It's not a technical issue. Here, observe;

Whoa, what just happened here? Why are we looking at her midriff, again?
And we're back. Wait, don't you mean, "And I just did"?
It's like they're just throwing things in there, without even considering whether or not the trailer can stand on its own. Yes, it's just a trailer, but that doesn't mean you can be random about it. But that's just the beginning. From there, things just get cornier and cornier... Here's one example;

Let me guess, you're gonna take out-
There you go.
Oh for the love of... Any chance this movie was made in the '90s and got lost in time until now?
I'm not hatin'. I'm just sayin' that they're trying a little too hard to be... To be... Actually, I don't know what they're going for, but something just feels 'off'. A Malaysian gangster flick with (mostly) Malay actors speaking English but with very Malay-like rhetorics; e.g. "You don't scare even a single hair on my head." I mean, who talks like that?

But anyway, take a step back and don't make up your mind about it just yet. It's not fair, and there is this probability that the movie's not being well-represented in the trailer. Therefore I would advise you to watch the behind-the-scenes featurette instead, just be warned that there's one major spoiler in there.

Ah, screw it. Don't let me have all the fun. Here, have a look at the trailer;


4 comments:

The Malaysian Diarist said...

Mamu, THAT was cringeworthy...gaaaah....seriously? The trailer has such a WTF quality to it.

Like we dont have enough gangster films in the local pipeline already? Why is this stuff such a hot subject matter in local movies these days?

Gah I am giving this a miss, unless you see it and review in the future and tell me if it's even worth seeing.

Major facepalmage. Kenapa la. Tak de idea lain ke?

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

The Malaysian Diarist:
I'm inclined to go see it for one reason and one reason alone; Michael Madsen. Buuuuuut... I don't know. We'll see :P

Jeff Lee said...

Yikes, I saw this film yesterday. It was strange to see a Malaysian film totally in English and without a single lah. But the film's weakness is Julian Cheah, who can only do deadpan and a smirk.

Mamü Miguel Ellezda Vies said...

@Jeff Lee
Just saw it yesterday myself. Good God, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was worse.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!