Sunday, September 15, 2013

"Songlap" Proves It Has Staying Power

When I gave Songlap two thumbs up nearly two years ago, I had no idea that it would have the kind of run that it has today. Just the other day (Sept 13) it premiered at the 2013 OzAsia Festival, and it will be screened again on the 22nd. Which is awesome, because I love Songlap the way Selena Gomez loves you like a love song, baby.

And I'd watch it on repeat-peat-peat-peat~♪ (You sang it, didn't you? Admit it)
This is just the latest addition to the amount of exposure Songlap has been getting and I'm really proud of it, even though I had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Sure, it's a little bittersweet for me that appreciation for (Malaysian) movies like this tend to come from abroad. But to be fair, it did snag a couple of prestigious awards here, it's just the bitter part of me had deduced that it was only because Bunohan had made a splash in Europe and the USA, and the judges didn't want to look like idiots.

But I digress.

Now in its seventh year, the festival has selected Malaysia as its central theme this year.

Hence the current look of its official website
I can't say I know whether it's merely cosmetic, or the attendees will really get a taste of Malaysia. But Yuna performed, and I think that's pretty damn cool. At least it's not the usual sleep-inducing tarian tradisional stuff, in which case you'd be able to tell that whoever's in charge of the show is an RTM-addicted centenarian (Translation: orang-tua-tak-hip-langsung). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those things, it's just not my bag, that's all. I feel the exact same way about ballet too.

Tengku Iesta Tengku Alaudin, General Manager of Grand Brilliance had this to say about the event;
“It is indeed a proud moment for us to see our productions being enjoyed by audiences the world over, this time in Adelaide. We are tremendously thankful for the international exposure Songlap has been receiving since its theatrical release.

Some of our more recent productions, including Istanbul, Aku Datang!, KIL, and Penanggal are also following suit with international screenings in Japan and France. In this regard, we are excited to be able to showcase what Malaysian filmmakers can do, and will continue to share our passion projects with the world.”
Awesome. Speaking of which, Penanggal will not see release until November 28th, so whether or not it's worthy of mention alongside Istanbul, Aku Datang! and KIL, well, we shall see. But as for the other two films, I wish them all the best and I really hope they will achieve similar (if not better) success.

Keep up the good work! Sempit films come and go, but classics like Songlap are here to stay.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!